Chapter 17: Once A Blue, Always A Blue

8 MONTHS LATER

One, two, threeee whistles from the ref, and that was fulltime. After handshakes and congratulations, Lucy collapsed on the pitch with the biggest grin off her face, soaking in the sunshine, the victory, and the sound of the crowd cheering her name.

Man City [4-1] Chelsea

-13' Stanway

-25' Walsh

-67' Walsh

-90+3' Bronze

It was her first game back in a City shirt and God knows how much it had meant to her to grab a goal in stoppage time. She had played this match with more energy, passion, and love than she had any match for Lyon. She had thought she could be happy anywhere else than City...but she was wrong, this was her home. And now, as her heart beat fast in exhilaration and exhaustion, her blood pulsed blue.

She closed her eyes and took a deep breathe, laying flat on her back in the middle of the pitch. Finally, she felt at peace, finally she felt complete.

"Ow! Jesus! What the hell!" She sprung forward in surprise, opening her eyes. It was Keira who had noticed the unsuspecting Lucy, relaxing in the grass taking in the win, and decided to jump on her.

Keira laughed, playfully and breathlessly. It was enough to wash away all Lucy's agitation. Lucy had no choice but to give in. Keira rolled off her teammate and rested beside her on the pitch, their breath in syncopation. Lucy turned her head towards the young defensive midfielder, unable to take her eyes off her.

"You know Kei...I haven't been this happy in...years," Lucy admitted.

"I know." Keira turned her head to look into Lucy's eyes, which sparkled in the sunlight in all their beautiful colour. She jumped to her feet, holding out her hand to Lucy. "Come on, let's go."

Lucy was reluctant to leave this perfect, magical moment behind. She wanted to stay on this pitch forever. She had missed it so much. But she had to follow Keira as they went down the tunnel and into the dressing room.

"Lucia Bronze!" Steph Houghton cheered as she bumped fists with the defender proudly. "Welcome back!"

"I'm glad to be back," Lucy admitted openly, leaning into Steph's hug.

"Thank f@ck," Lucy Stan laughed.

"You know we expect you to stay," Georgia said warningly.

Keira gave Lucy a smile. "Forever and ever."

Lucy returned a smile. "Sounds wonderful."

Everything was perfect, as Lucy kept reminding Steph and Keira as they drove home after the match. But something inside her was bothering her. There was still something she had to do.

Keira was tired after the match, and after a lovely chicken dinner outdoors with Steph Lucy and Stephen she retired to her room to sleep. Lucy stared after her as she walked away, and when she finally came back to earth, her eyes met Steph's, who gave her a smile and a look.

Later that night, Lucy wandered purposely into the living room where Steph was searching through TV channels. She stood there in the darkness for awhile, watching Steph play with the remote till Steph, without looking at her or saying anything, motioned to the spot next to her on the couch. Lucy jumped onto it.

They sat there in silence for a bit till Steph broke out, "Well, are you gonna tell me or not, Luce."

Lucy scratched the back of her neck for a strangely long time. Finally she turned back and faced Steph. "It's about Keira."

Steph didn't move and kept flicking through channels. "Well of course it is. But what exactly this time?"

Lucy half-sighed, half-laughed. "Well..." she couldn't get the words out in the way she wanted. "I guess...I mean...I know...I think..." she sighed loudly and then took a deep breath. "I want to ask her to marry me, Steph."

Steph dropped the remote and stared at it on the ground, wearing a face of silent shock only visible by the light from the TV. Lucy heard the Skipper clear her throat. "Hmmmmm....right."

Lucy pushed Steph a bit. "What?"

Steph shook her head uncontrollably, trying to play it cool, but she couldn't formulate the right words. "Nothing." Her voice came out high and strange.

Lucy let out a sigh. "Steph, I'm serious. And I'm scared. And I don't know what to do."

Steph turned her position on the couch to face the younger defender. She looked meaningfully into the girl's eyes. "Yes you do. You love this girl. You know what to do."

Lucy broke out in anxiety. "No, I don't! I've never done this before!"

Steph focused her gaze on Lucy. "Well I should hope not!"

Burying her face in her hands, Lucy thought hard. "Is this even the right time?"

Steph shrugged. "That's your call. You know what's up with your relationship."

"Ughhhh. I feel nervy just thinking about it." Lucy rubbed her face vigourously.

Steph took Lucy's hands from her face and held them supportively. "Luce, if you really feel like you want to do this, you have to. God knows how long this has been going on for. And...when you find love...you have to hold onto it. It's precious, this."

"I know," Lucy nodded. "I just...am I ready for this?"

Steph laughed. "You? You'll be fine. I think you should consider Keira. She's a kid, you know."

Lucy nodded. "Everytime I feel ready to just up and ask her, it never feels right. I think it's the perfect time and then...but today, out there on the pitch...something's telling me I have to do it."

"Then you have to listen," Steph said encouragingly. "Be wise, but I think, however much it sounds like bullsh!t, you have to follow your heart."

Lucy rubbed her arms up and down, and nodded again slowly, taking a deep breath. "You're right Steph."

"I'm always right," Steph smiled, engulfing Lucy in a motherly hug, one that immediately made Lucy feel stronger and surer.