AUTHOR'S NOTE

I read a post on Instagram the other day about authors demonizing Demeter and turning Persephone against her mother and yadda yadda yadda when, in reality, those two loved each other to death. The post even made allusion to how in Homer's Hymn to Demeter, it is told that when Hermes went to get her back, she ran back to her mother's arms crying of joy. I mean, yeah. I guess I just became one of those authors...? Who cares. The reason why I wrote this note is to specify a couple of things because that post made me realize something fundamental: Persephone and Demeter had a wonderful mother-daughter relationship. A thing that should be promoted, not hidden.

Very hypocritical coming from me, but hey, this is fiction. I never meant for this to be an accurate telling of the myth, it's a retelling. Do I believe Demeter acted the way she did in this story? No. Of course not. I just wanted to create a darker version of the myth, because spending unholy amounts of time on the internet (Tumblr AND Pinterest) does that to people, you know?

For this reason, I am writing another book! Yes, about Persephone. How many retellings of the same myth can a girl tell? Well, it turns out, many. This one will be in a modern setting though. I will not be deleting this story, I love it too much. Is this an accurate depiction of their relationship? Of course it's not. It's a very toxic relationship, and no one should ever (ideally speaking) harbor so much hate in them, especially for the person that gave birth to them and raised them and took care of them.

Anyway, thanks for reading Persephone. This definitely marks a landmark in my writing career. It's the first story I've completed, ever. Cheers to me, I guess.

I hope I can see most of you in Omen, which I'm going to start updating now that Persephone is over. As to the new Persephone story, I'm currently drafting it, so I might start publishing either after finishing Omen OR very soon. You never know, not with me. 

-S