Chapter 13 - The Reasons

Erik's POV:

I couldn't believe what she had just said. She had told me she had lied for me and kept the blue rose that I gave her. What did this mean? I was confused. She should hate me. That I why I didn't go after her. I had been tempted to kidnap her again but I knew she would only hate me more. She had simply been warming to me because she thought it would get her out. But now she was standing before me with this honest look in her lovely brown eyes. I had forgotten how much I had missed her. I had buried the pain and my love for. I had to do that to survive. But now it all came back, full force.

Carly's POV:

I saw he was shaking and I simply said,

“Erik, I am not going to tell you why I kept the blue rose until you tell me exactly why you kidnapped me.” I felt his eyes boring into me but I kept a calm demeanor. I didn't want to admit that I loved him right now. It wasn't the right time. He walked toward me and a finger traced my jaw line. I could feel the tingling in my face and I hoped I wasn't blushing. He sighed and said,

“I hadn't darkened the door of a church in years. I never needed to. I thought that God had put me here to be tortured until I died. That was how my father taught me. Well, I had moved to your town and was driving around when I saw your church. You might say that God did some prompting in my heart and I decided to attend that Sunday. I wasn't sure was to expect. I found a small congregation with a good pastor and a girl who could sing like an angel. I wasn't sure what to think when I heard you voice. I lied to your family when I said I was a voice teacher. I do have experience but I hadn't ever taught anyone before. I wanted to teach you though. You have such promise. I hope you haven't stopped singing.” I sighed.

“I have. I can't sing when I am not happy. And for the past two years I haven't been happy.” He gasped.

“I hurt you more than I thought. I-” I stopped him.

“You didn't hurt me. I missed you. I missed your teaching. But, please go on with your story.” He seemed shocked that I had missed him but continued without commenting on it.

“I called you to talk to you about it and I was surprised you even agreed knowing that I wore a mask. Most are afraid of a man who wears a mask and has golden eyes. All I could feel was shock when I was accepted by your family. I haven't ever been accepted for myself. People will stand to be around me because of my voice or my music but not because of me. We arranged for the lessons to be at my house and I couldn't help but love your voice. It was perfect. When you told me about your promise ring and boyfriend I hit the panic button. You see, I am not sane. I have been insane for years. I can normally keep it under control but I lost control. There is a monster beneath this face and he shows himself sometimes. I planned it all out and then I kidnapped you. I can't tell you what it did to me when you said you wouldn't sing again. You are the first person in years to see in emotion from me. I didn't know what to do. I couldn't take you back. That didn't even enter my head. All I think about was that you wouldn't sing. Then you did after a while. I was so happy. You were settling it. You acted like you were actually happy. Then you left. It was at that time I knew what you had been doing. You were trying to escape. You were lying to me.” I couldn't believe he would think that. I shook my head violently.

“I wasn't lying. I did enjoy staying with you even under that circumstance. I don't know why but even though you kidnapped me I never really held it against you.” He gasped and I stared into those golden eyes I wanted to see for the rest of my life. I wanted him to stay forever. I was beginning to guess what he was thinking and what had prompted him to kidnap me.

“Why did you leave then?” He asked softly. I sighed.

“I had two choices when the officers showed up at your door. I could have stayed and they would have found you. If I left I thought they might as well. I told them you had left me forever. I told them that you had abandoned the house. I lied but I had to. I didn't want you to get hurt.” He pulled back and I bit my lip. I looked up at him and sighed. “You are my friend. I had to protect you.” He shook his head wildly.

“I can't be your friend. I hurt you.” I shook my head and walked toward him.

“You hurt me then you healed me. I learned to enjoy having your around. I started to want to sing again because I was happy. I thought you knew that.” I could hear his ragged breathing and my heart was going ninety miles an hour. “Why did you lose your mind when you heard I got a promise ring from Jonathan?” He winced and looked away. Then he looked back at me and held his hand close to my cheek. Close enough I could feel the warmth but not touching. He looked me straight in the eye and said,

“Because I love you.”