Chapter Three - Why?

Start from the beginning

"I'm an open book."

"Why have you been spending so much time with me?"

"Why not?"

I give her a look and she sighs. "Alright, you intrigue me. I know everyone in this town. I know their lives and it gets dull after awhile. I've never met someone like you and that's exciting."

"So, when you figure me out I'll be just like every other dull person, huh?"

She smirks, "I don't think you could ever be dull."

We both stand and exit the school. "Do you want to come over," she suggest.

"To your house?"

"Yeah."

" ... Sure."

We begin walking back to her house. I haven't gotten in a car once and my legs definitely feel it. They're sore almost every night. The walk back to Nadine's house is not quick. It takes about twenty minutes.

We finally arrive to a three story ranch style house with a wrap around porch. There's a lady and two dogs sitting at the porch. Both dogs perk up when they see us.

We walk up the driveway and both dogs come running towards us. I'm almost tackled down by a black German shepherd. He sniffs me curiously before barking with a happy tail wagging.

"Alpha, heel boy," Nadine calls.

Alpha runs over and sits down next to her heels. The other dog follows suit and lays down.

"Valentina meet Alpha and Beta."

Beta was a dark brown german shepherd.

"We've has them since they were puppies," she continued.

"They're cute," I say. Nadine smiles at me and leads me up the rest of the way to the porch. The woman sitting there has short curly, brown hair and blue eyes like Nadine.

She smiles sweetly, "Who's this," she says.

"Mom, this is Valentina. Valentina this is my mom."

Her mom reaches out and shakes my hand.

"So, you're the girl who's kept my daughter away all summer."

She winks at me. I look over at Nadine and see her cheeks steadily going red. She grabs my hand. "That's enough of that. We'll be in my room."

Nadine doesn't let my hand go until we're in her room with the door shut. Her room was quite big. She had two floor-to-ceiling windows on one wall. The other three were painted sky blue with clouds. Her bed was king sized and a dark blue. She had a white rug and all the other furniture matched her wall and bed.

"So, this is how you live being the mayor's daughter."

She scratches the back of her neck, "House came with the job, like the White House."

I take a seat on a bean bag chair and slowly sink in. I decide that I like it and don't move. Nadine sits on her rug across from me. "So ...?"

I roll my eyes. "So what?"

"I don't know. Talking to you is hard sometimes."

"It doesn't seem like it."

"Well, it's easy to talk when you're talking about yourself. I want to know about you and that's not going to happen."

We fall into silence before I sigh. "My favorite color is blue, like your eyes."

She looks at me and a wide smile spreads across her face. "Please keep going."