A New Job Title

This entire month was quite filled with nerves. Truthfully, this entire year had been chaotic. And when he had the call this morning from the hospital, his heart started to race in the most comfortable and uncomfortable way. It made him sick. 

While he was contemplating whether to up and leave work in the middle of the day or finish work, Akira had slapped him on the back and asked if he was even the man. He sucked in a breath. He was letting his emotions control him, and they were having quite a lot of fun being let loose like horses from a stable.

Nodding a goodbye in the direction of everyone in the cubical, he darted out the door in the fastest yet calmest way without running. 

Hailing a taxi, Arima sat in the backseat focusing on trying to control his thoughts. He was imagining all the ways in which things could go wrong. He smacked his forehead loudly, frightening the wits out of the driver.

Throwing a wad of cash and asking the driver to keep the change, he calmly walked into the hospital as if he owned the entire building. The eyes of passerby women clung to him. He gave it no thought. At the receptionist's desk, he spoke her name and their relationship and was swiftly escorted to the room.

She seemed a little drowsy and breathless, but for the most part alright. Arima involuntarily released all the tension in his body. "Look at the Kishou Arima losing his composure," Y/N teased, smiling through her pain. He allowed her a weak smile. She was the one going through all this, but he was having the mental ache. It didn't seem justified, this was important to him too.

"Do you want to stay with me?" she asked as her eyes started to water. Arima stiffly nodded. "Of course." The nurses who gave him gloves and other medical sanitary supplies wondered if he was good with blood. He had replied he was probably the best, earning a chuckle from Y/N and shocked looks from the nurses.

When he was finished wearing them, Y/N shakily grabbed a hold of his hand. He squeezed tight letting her know he was here. Having consumed books on childbirth and deliveries really was paying off.

"Now you should push, Y/N-chan," the doctor who was taking care of her these past 10 months softly said. Her face scrunched as she concentrated. She started to let out cries of pain, which she must have been holding it in for his comfort.

Arima felt his hand go numb from losing all connection to oxygen and blood. He was amused, to say the least. She had some strength in her hands. He felt her release him and sigh, just as the cries of another being was starting.

The doctor and nurses set to work. Y/N laid with her eyes closed, with beads of sweat running down her forehead. A nurse pointed the scissors at him. "You want to cut the umbilical cord?"

With wide eyes, he nodded yes. The baby was so small and was still screeching. Now, it was trusting both him and Y/N to take care of it. His heart warmed. Arima carefully snipped above the surgical tape.

As he returned the scissors back to the doctor, Y/N grabbed a hold of his forearm. He leaned towards her. "They call you all sorts of things and you hold various positions, but now you will have a new one. That little one will be calling you 'daddy'."

Her eyes filled adoration, she smiled wide like he had handed her the stars. "I'm so happy." 

Arima knew he mustn't give in to temptations. He knew this wasn't appropriate. But he still said it, partially to relieve him of the panic. "Don't I have you to call me that already?"

It took a moment to hit Y/N's dull brain. Her cheeks flushed darker than before. "You better run when you have the time. When I come back to my full strength–"

His mind flashed to when she squeezed the life out of his fingers. "Be patient, tigress," he said with a smirk. "You may jump my bones later~"