Chapter 10: Spinning the Moonlight

Johanna and Mercy carried the table from the shade tree to the trellis so that they would have somewhere to sit as the night blooming roses grew. Dadus had them also bring the metal fire pit from the shed and soon they had a cheery fire burning.

"Now, if you watch them directly," Dadus explained, "it's much like watching for a pot of water to boil. But, occupy yourself in some other way and it will amaze you how fast they grow."

The night grew deeper and Mercy gasped as the first of the luna moths appeared, each as big as her outstretched hand. Their pale green wings spread as they silently waited for the roses to bloom.

The vines grew. By the darkest part of the night, they were almost up and over the trellis. Dadus was falling asleep occasionally and Johanna brought out a woolen blanket for him.

He insisted on staying awake as much as possible, however; the vines grew better when he did. Yet, Mercy didn't begrudge him his naps. He was an old man after all and, no matter if he wanted to help or not, she wasn't willing to sacrifice his health for her quest.

At last, the vines were up and over, intertwining themselves together to form a beautiful tunnel. Mercy couldn't wait to see it in the daylight. Once the growth was complete, the leaves filled out and many, many blooms formed. One or two even blossomed open and the scent was unlike anything Mercy had experienced.

"It's a heady bouquet, isn't it?" Dadus said, rousing from his last nap of the night, watching the moths swarm over the trellis. It seemed as if each blossom had its own moth.

"Oh yes! One that any perfumer would give their eye teeth to bottle."

"It wasn't so long ago, it seems, that one made his rounds to do just that. I think he must have died; he hasn't been around in many years."

"How sad," Mercy said with genuine emotion. "Perhaps when you move to the city, you will find one again?"

"Yes! There are many things I can do that would be in demand, to be sure. Even charging a small fee for family garden maintenance would keep me happy and flush. I'd likely not want for much."

"Well, when the dresses are complete, we could take a week or two to help you move."

If they hadn't been sitting beside the fire, Mercy might have missed the watery sparkle in Dadus' eyes. "You children are some of the kindest people I have ever met. I would be in your debt if you helped."

"Tsk," Mercy said, "it is you who has been kind and generous, Dadus. To take us in as you have? I am more grateful than you know."

"Well, I could hardly deny my mother her apprentice after all these years. And Lance and Matt have been gods-sent to help me about the place as they have."

"Good! It's settled then. We will get you moved. I'm sure Matt and Lance will agree."

The eastern horizon lightened and the roses settled into place on the trellis. When the sun broke into the morning sky, Mercy couldn't help but gasp as the sight; the sun was reflected and refracted by the dew on the flowers, making the structure into a tunnel covered with crystals sparkling against a sea of green.

Dadus pushed himself up out of his chair. "Well, I'm off to bed. Johanna will show you how to harvest the first of the vines."

Mercy walked him to the house and found a bit of breakfast for them to eat before he slept. When he did, Johanna suggested that Mercy, too, get some rest.

"These vines won't be ready until the sun is high in the sky; they need time to wither and dry some before we cut them. I'll come wake you when it's time."