Lucian lies back and rests his head on another make shift pillow making me want to do the same but I continue to stare at him as he speaks. 

"Our actions are what make us but public opinion reinforces this like no other power can. You may not like this but being my lover will put you at a very vulnerable position among army officials. This is where our conversation becomes important."

"Vulnerable?" I repeat his words and frown in confusion. I thought joining the army was the end game. 

Lucian suddenly sits up and looks around at the four bare walls surrounding us. He eyes the four upper corners and finally turns his attention back to me after nodding in satisfaction. 

"I of course didn't expect you to know this before but now that you are joining my squad I must tell you about the existing undercurrents in the army. As you know Lazarus is not my biggest fan and his relationship with Luna has gathered him much support from the officials. There is however another group of officers and commanders who feel he is too bloodthirsty and unfit to lead the army once the generals step down. They support me and want me to share the authority instead of being second in command. Some want me to take over instead."

"And Lazarus doesn't like this." I state and he nods his head in agreement. Now their animosity makes more sense than ever. 

"He has been trying to get rid of me for the past five years. Which has made it impossible for me to trust most Plutonian's. If he ever knew about my night terrors he would use it to influence everyone that I am unfit to serve as even second in command and then he would be the sole leader," Lucian's expression turns grim as I soak in everything like the water around me. 

"So you think he will bully me once I join?" I ask him.

"He has been targeting you from the moment he knew you were my lover. But he is not the only one you should be worried about. The thing is because of my mothers warning I had to choose a human but having an official human lover after years of being single shocked most of the Plutonian's. They were not happy when they first found out about you and that lost me some support. There is no doubt the Plutonian's who wish for me to take over want their daughters or nieces to date me instead of a human. For that reason I had to make you extraordinary. Someone who did the undoable, someone the humans and Plutonian's ended up loving and admiring."

His words bring me back to the ferocious chanting of my name and Asta's start struck expression. 

"I didn't have to do much. The crowd loved you from your first match. After meeting you and seeing how unfazed you were by my status, I was sold. You were the perfect choice. You see, Aria. By doing this, I made you indispensable. Make no mistake, the fights were the easy part. Now you will have to work with both Plutonian's and humans. The Plutonian's on Lazarus's side will try to sabotage us while the Plutonian's on our side will want your position as my lover," Lucian's gaze is cautious as he studies my reaction. 

I blink a few times in stunned silence. This whole thing was a handful to take in.

"And what if we were to "break up"? I can't help but ask. I didn't sign up for this and it's not like we are a real couple anyway. My focus was always beyond the walls of the base. 

His eyes widen, momentarily stunned by my question but he quickly recovers and smiles immediately. "A sudden break up would be suspicious and my sleep improvement has helped me work better which shows just how invaluable you are to me. I'm afraid I can't let you go anytime soon, for both our sakes." 

His words cause a small sliver of fear to creep up my spine and suddenly I feel afraid that being with him might actually deter my efforts to escape. 

"Am I really that terrible that you can't wait to get away?" He chuckles making it seem like a joke but his expression is so guarded I can't help but think I have offended him. 

"No," I quickly say, smiling. "I'm obviously scared about your enemies and your Plutonian fan club."

"Really? Or does it make you jealous?" He smirks and his teasing makes me laugh. He splashes some water over me playfully making me push him away. 

"Oh yes. You better protect them oh great Master Lucian. I might just break their bones." I joke and I return the splash which hits him in the face.

He laughs and wipes the water off his face. "You're going to have to be jealous from now on. We have to act like a real couple to prevent any suspicion. Which means we have to be more comfortable with each other."

I suddenly freeze in place and my heart beats furiously in my chest. "How comfortable?"

My frightened expression makes Lucian burst out laughing and without warning he pulls me towards him and wraps his arms around me.

The feel of his strong arms around me causes millions of excited tingles to erupt across my skin. A lump forms in my throat as I rejoice at the contact, the hug reminding me of my parents hugging me before they put me to bed. 

However the feeling is immediately replaced with panic when I realize it is Lucian hugging me, his hands touching the ugly artificial skin I wear on my back. I push his hands away and jerk back like I had been stung by an electro pole.

"Lucian," I gasp, my cheeks burning up like the sun. He is being so playful and it is causing a world wind of emotions in my chest.

"Aria, you need to get used to hugs and holding hands. I'm sorry but you have no choice," Lucian seems to enjoy my embarrassment more than anything. He is beaming from ear to ear right now. "On a more serious note you are going to have to start tonight."

"Tonight? Why?"

"We have been invited to Lazarus's place for dinner. He wants to celebrate your victory," Lucian states and my body turns rigid at the thought of being in that horrible Plutonian's house.

"Why? He hates me," I state and Lucian shrugs his shoulders. "Can we not go?"

"Unfortunately no. We'd better start getting ready." Lucian steps out of the scented pool and turns to face my reluctant form. "Welcome to the world of politics, Aria."

Heyy, this chapter has a lot of explanation on the politics behind everything which is no so diff from here to be honest lol and Lucian's actions to make sure Aria won. Hope you enjoyed and are you scared for Aria? She has to face Lazarus soon :( 

Also pls tell me if u found this chapter too dry with too much info and I will edit if needed. Thanks so much.