For silent minutes, they walked along the stadium's wall and then turned left to walk in the shadow of a flat, long building. Beth eyed the open space—a scenery of pale grays—wondering why Leo wouldn't want to cross it.

As they reached the intersection with the road at the end of the square, Leo stopped. "Where do you want to go?"

"Seaside, of course," Burt said.

"The shortest route is that way." Leo gestured down the street to their right. "That's where Seaside is. But you'd have to go through city center, and you don't want that. And then, you'd have to cross the river. There's only one bridge still standing. The Bikers and the tunnel clan hold that territory, and they wouldn't let you pass. They'd eat you alive."

Beth wondered if that would involve literal eating, but she said nothing.

"And even if they'd let you pass, the bridge would just take you into the wastelands." He paused. "You'd have to cross them to get to your village. And believe me, that's a bad idea."

"Believe you?" Burt snorted.

Leo ignored him. "The only chance you've got is going this way." He pointed in the opposite direction. "That's where we came from today. Get out of the town as quickly as possible, then turn north. Follow the highway. Walk around the city, keeping away from it. But that'll take you several days, and there's no water."

"And how long's the direct way?" Burt asked, still squinting towards city center.

"If you survive, and the gangs let you pass, and if you have water, food, and weapons, it would take you more than a day to get to the river and another one or two to get to Seaside."

"Okay, that's where we'll go, then. Lead the way." Burt gestured along the street.

Beth wasn't sure if she agreed with the plan, but the men were already moving.

What were they going to do with Hope? The infant was quiet now, maybe calmed by the steady pace of her walking. But she would need food and care soon. And they didn't have water.

They weren't equipped for her. They weren't even equipped for themselves.

She was about to ask Burt about his plans as he bent down to pick up a stone. Then he moved ahead, taking a couple of silent steps to catch up with Leo. He swung his arm and hit the man's head.

Leo stumbled and groaned as Burt hit him again, bringing him down.

Then he lay still.

Burt kicked his victim, and when the man didn't move, he turned towards her. "Gimme the gun and the kid."

"What do you want with her?"

"We can't take her with us."

Beth took a step back from him. "What are you planning to do to her?"

"You could call it mercy... bullets for her and her dad. So they don't have to live in this shit hole and can be together forever. In chink heaven."

"You..." She clasped the pistol harder. "You can't do that. She's just a child. And he is knocked out already." She gestured at Leo.

Leo groaned as if to belie of her words.

"See?" Burt said. "Gimme the gun unless you want to do it yourself."

Hope sighed and exhaled, sending her warm breath across Beth's chest.

"No." She shook her head. "We won't do that. It's not right. We are all that remains of civilization, and we're not murdering them. We won't betray what Seaside stands for."

Leo groaned once more and moved an arm as if trying to find purchase.

Burt approached him, raising the stone in his fist.

"Stop it!" Beth hissed. "That's enough." She wouldn't have it—killing a father and his helpless child.

This had all been a mistake. Her mistake—she shouldn't have used Hope against her father.

She moved the gun to the hand holding Hope and used the other one to tug at Leo's arm. "Hey! Do you hear me?"

He groaned. Then he nodded.

She shoved Hope against his chest. "Here is your daughter. Take care of her."

With that, she got up. "You can follow me, or you can stay," she told Burt. "But don't you touch him or his daughter."

Hearing Burt's cursing behind her, she set out along the moonlit road. It led straight towards the tallest of the buildings—they stood like upright bones, bleached by light too weak to lend them color.

City center.