⚔︎ Chapter 27 • Brothers ⚔︎

Start from the beginning

"Not a sword though." I giggle.

Ethan merely shrugs. "No, but you're incredibly skilled in your weapons of choice. I bet even your big, badass boyfriend, Xander, couldn't fire a bow."

I purse my lips. "He'd look silly."

"But you look sexy." Ethan winks and I roll my eyes.

"Sure."

"It's true. Do you think I missed you taking down Lazarus's boarders when they invaded? You used up your whole quiver and not a single arrow was wasted."

"They still got Charlie though."

"Yeah, and I died. But you stood strong and even came to our rescue. I saw that." He cups my cheeks. "I see you."

I look deep into Ethan's dark brown eyes. He has Dad's eyes; he reminds me so much of him. "I've looked up to you my whole life, Ethan." I whisper. "I just wanted you to be p-proud of me."

My brother envelopes me in a hug. "I am, Ryder. I am so proud of you. You've grown so strong. I'm proud to be your brother."

Happy tears well in my eyes and I pull away, wiping them. "I love you so much."

Ethan pecks my lips. "I love you too, Ry."

"Are you gonna ask Charlie to make you immortal? I don't ever want to lose you, even to old age." I sniffle and Ethan chuckles, relaxing.

"So it is true, you're immortal now."

I nod and smile, remembering the night it happened. "I don't want to ever leave Xander. I want to be with him for eternity."

Ethan smiles too. "You couldn't have picked someone who liked me?"

I punch his arm. "He's warming up to you. I know he is."

"Sure." Ethan chuckles. "So how did it work? Did he pump you so full of his magical siren semen that it made its way into your heart?"

My cheeks turn red and Ethan laughs. "No! You're so fucking gross."

"Don't lie, you'd love it if he did that."

"I bet that's what you want Charlie to do." I shoot back. Now it's his turn to blush.

"I top!"

"Don't lie." I mimic him and giggle.

"Fuck you, fucking brat." He fucks up my hair as much as he can before I manage to fight him off. "For real though, how's it done?"

"It doesn't involve semen." I tell him, desperately trying to fix my hair.

Ethan pouts. "Blood drinking?"

"No, idiot their tears."

"Ohh," Ethan nods. "Does it feel any different?"

"A little..." I rub my arm. "I feel stronger, more alive."

"I want to do it too." Ethan looks out to sea and smiles. "I want to marry Charlie."

"Wow," I study his expression and I'm able to see how much he truly loves the siren from his eyes.

"I love him with every fiber of my being. I need to be with him forever. I never want to be apart."

"For my sanity, I hope you're never apart again." I giggle and Ethan snickers.

"I was really fucked up last time, wasn't I?"

I nod. "I was scared you'd fuck my boyfriend with me still in the bed with him."

"Gross. Xander's ass is not my type." Ethan shakes the image out of his head. "He is pretty though."

"The most gorgeous creature I've ever seen." I swoon and Ethan chuckles.

"I'm really glad you're happy, Ry. After everything you've been through, you deserve someone as good as Xander."

"You really think he's good? Even though you're so mean to him?" I ask.

Ethan nods. "He's a fucking asshole to me, but he treats you right. I respect that."

I tackle him in a hug. "I'm so glad!"

"Just don't tell him, okay?" Ethan pats my back and I giggle mischievously. "I'm serious, Ry, I can't have him thinking I'm going soft on him."

"But you've been going soft since you met Charlie!"

Ethan scoffs.

"Really! He's been such a good influence on you." I squeeze him and sit back. "I can't wait till he's my brother-in-law!"

"I'm glad you approve." He smiles.

"Who wouldn't approve of Charlie?"

"True."

We sit in silence for a little bit before Ethan speaks again. "You know that taking up this life means leaving our human life behind. Does that bother you?"

I shake my head. "My human life was filled with pain and fear. Out here at sea I feel free. The merpeople are kind. I'm honored to be accepted by them."

Ethan trails his fingers along the deck. "I doubt I've been accepted by them."

"Toby accepts you."

"He accepted Tony too so I don't think his judgment is that sound." Ethan scoffs. His words make me frown and I replay my encounter with the brute.

"Tony talked to me."

"I'll kill him." Ethan starts to stand, but I pull him down again.

"Stop. Why do you people keep trying to kill people for me? If he deserved to die, I would've killed him myself."

Ethan clenches his fist. "He raped you, Ryder!"

"He pushed me and manipulated me but I did consent. It was horrible, abusive, and not at all okay but I have been raped before and it was different. I am the victim. I get to choose what to call it. As much as you hate to hear it, I did want him."

Ethan sighs. "I'm sorry, Ry. It was all my fault."

"The blame shouldn't fall on anyone but Tony." I tell him and climb into his lap so I can run my fingers through his hair like Mom used to do. "Okay?"

"If that's the case, then why can't I kill him?" Ethan mumbles.

"He apologized to me." I whisper. "And I know he meant it. He's got a ways to go but he is changing. I can see it. And despite all his fetishes, he hasn't once hurt Toby. I think he understands why it hurts people so much for him to use them. I'd be surprised if he did it again now that he knows. He seemed to feel a lot of guilt."

Ethan is silent. I keep petting him.

"He was your best friend once. Your brother. You loved him."

"I did." Ethan sighs. "But then he betrayed me."

"Do you blame him?"

Ethan lowers his head. "Was I really that bad?"

Solemnly, I nod. "Ethan, if we are truly leaving humanity behind, shouldn't we leave our human squabbles behind too? Shouldn't we start our new lives filled with peace? Forgiveness? Acceptance?"

Ethan chuckles. "You're such a softy, Ry." He hugs me. "We'll see." He looks out to sea. "We'll see."

___________________________
Author's Note:

Finally, Ethan and Ryder get a chance to really talk and process everything that's happened to them. I know a lot of you were hoping to see a scene like this if just the brothers and I'm really glad I made it. Their love is so pure.

Ethan's such a good big brother. He's truly a caretaker at heart, even taking up a big brotherly role over Toby. I love him.

Feelings?

-Jex