Someone That I Needed

Start from the beginning

"B-but I ruined it... He almost died because of me when I completely froze up. If it weren't for you, he would've-"

Zuma placed a paw on his friend's shoulder comfortingly. "Wocky... you're new here. Heck, you awen't even a member of the team! Don't beat yourself up, wescue missions aren't easy and of course someone new to it might mess it up. You'we still weally brave to me dude." He smiled, squeezing Rocky tightly.

The mix blushed at the compliment and hug, enjoying the brief comfort. "I just...I just don't know if I belong here," he said in dismay. "I mean when you first found me, I didn't plan on staying very long... it's been days! I've caused enough trouble already. Adventure Bay has enough rescue pups as is, I'll be ok."

Zuma rolled his eyes, shooting Rocky a "yeah right" look, glancing over his thin body. " I have something to cheer you up actually! Come with me, dude, I have something I wanna show you."

Rocky let out a distraught sigh, "I'm really not in the mood Zuma." The lab wasn't taking no for an answer though. "Wocky you'll feel better, I pwomise. It'll take your mind off this."

"Okay fine... but what is it you wanna show me?"

Zuma chuckled before brushing past Rocky and walking out the doorway. "It wouldn't be much of a supwise if I told you now. Just twust me, dude!"

"I hate surprises," Rocky mumbled to himself as he followed behind out into the yard.

_____________________________________________

Zuma hopped into his hovercraft, patting the passenger seat with his paw as he wiggled his eyebrows at Rocky to follow him up. "I dunno, Zuma... maybe we should go somewhere else. In case you forgot, I'm not the biggest fan of water..." Rocky's voice trailed off as his ears and tail lowered in nervousness. Zuma rolled his eyes, "dude, I pwomise you're gonna be totally fine. It's so worth the twip, but it's an island so we kinda have to go thwough the water to get there."

The mix looked towards the bay, the calm blue water swaying and sloshing rhythmically. He refused to trust it though; it may have looked calm and pretty, but he knew there was an unpredictable and relentless force beneath the seemingly harmless foamy waves. An unforgiving violence that he held responsible for so much of what he had lost in his life. Suddenly, his gaze found itself locked with Zuma, who was putting on the cutest begging face he could muster. "Pleeeeeaaaaaassssseeee, Wocky?" the lab pouted with his bottom lip quivering.

Ugh, I couldn't say no to that if I tried, Rocky sighed in defeat. "Alright pouty, you win. Just- please don't flip us overboard," he added with a nervous gulp that earned a giggle from Zuma.

The lab took off across the water, his hovercraft gliding smoothly over the waves as he navigated it with ease. He was beaming with excitement as he picked up speed. The lab felt his happiest when he was out on the water. He closed his eyes for a moment to enjoy the bliss. The faint squawking of seagulls over the whirring engine, the splashing of the waves as he cut through them, the salty breeze ruffling his ears and fur. Suddenly, Zuma felt something else; he opened one eye to see Rocky burying his muzzle into his neck and squeezing his eyes shut. "Enjoying the wide so far?" Zuma yelled over the engine with a smirk.

Rocky refused to open his eyes. "J-just tell me when we're back on dry land!" the scared pup shouted, partially muffled by a mouthful of brown fur. The tiny splashes of water hitting Zuma's face weren't enough to cool his blushing cheeks he had from his friend being nuzzled so close. "Haha! Hang tight dude, we're almost thewe." he chuckled when he felt Rocky's grip tighten.

A few moments later, the two pups were about to dock. From the hovercraft, the island was a giant colorful mass floating in the sea. The blue water faded into foamy green waves that lapped at the sand. Bright green palm trees dotted the island and dozens of rock formations formed a path that led up to a central plateau right on the horizon line. "Here it is," Zuma whispered in Rocky's ear once the vehicle's fan had died down. The mixed breed cautiously opened his eyes, finally letting go of Zuma, who missed the embrace the second Rocky let go. They both jumped down, landing in the soft sand on the beach. Zuma looked up to see the sun, realizing it would be setting soon.