Chapter 7: Vijaya

Börja om från början

I hated that relaxed face.

I am going to wipe that contented expression off that face.

But I never made contact with the old man or the chair.
I felt my body fly through the air and land painfully on the ground, the wind knocked out from my lungs. A loud crack echoed round the shed. My injured arm cleanly broke. A blinding pain shot through my entire being and a animalistic cry escaped my body.

The pain was so great that I barely registered the mountain of a man dragging me by the hair and dropping me in the middle of the room. The shed was now eerily silent except for my loud whimpers.

The old man kept sitting on his chair. He spoke calmly, as if he was merely discussing the local news. As if i hadn't just attempted to attack him.

"Every now and then, some foolish creatures are brought here who think that they can change their fates. They think they deserve better. But all of you", he nodded at the line of terrified women, "are here because your own loved ones sold you. We didn't kidnap you, we paid for you. You were sold to us, therefore, you are our property now."
"Get that through your heads, all of you. And to help you understand the situation you are in now, here's a little demonstration coming your way."

A stool was brought to where I lay whimpering. My broken left arm was picked up and laid on the table. Tears streamed down my eyes and sniffles came out involuntarily. I was no longer in control of my own body. Pain ruled it now. A part of me started to hope that they would kill me now and end this pain.

Through the haze of suffering, I heard that hateful calm voice speak again.

"Ladies, I don't need your faces and limbs to be pretty, no, no. We like to give everyone a fair chance. Even the ugliest of you can serve our purpose."

He paused for the men to laugh at his joke.

Cruel, hateful bastard!

"We need you for your wombs, for you to be a bride. Don't resist your fate, you have a chance to have a proper family, have kids, everything a woman wants." He urged, as if he was delivering sermon.

"Don't resist. Don't you see? We are doing all of you a favour."

Dimly, I registered the change of tone. It was still soft, but contained just the hint of menace now.

"What happens when you don't appreciate our benevolence? Reject the second chance we give you? A way out of poverty of your old lives?" He paused as if he expected answers.

"You are about to find out."

I saw the knife poised above my spread fingers through my half open eyes. I closed my lids and the next moment its pointy end hit my pinkie.

"What the fuck? What happened?"
There seemed to be some confusion and I opened my eyes. Blood gushed from the wound but my finger seemed still attached to my hand.
"What fools." I heard a man roar. "Bring a sharp knife. It's way too blunt."

There was a skirmish for a few moments before my fingers were once again spread in front and once again I saw the pointy end of the knife poised above. I closed my eyes in prayer, hoping for a clean cut and less pain.

But the blow never came.

Instead, the sound of an explosion reverberated around the shed. One side of the shed was now blown open and there was a pandemonium inside. Someone shoved me and I fell face forward on the table. It knocked me out for a few seconds.

When I came to, A bizarre scene met my eyes.

The men were tugging on the ropes draped around the women's waists and leading them out. Yet others had their guns in their hands and were rushing outside the shed. The old man was nowhere to be seen.
I shrank in one corner and dragged my body till I could cram myself under a table. There were sounds of gunshot or bomb, I didn't know which; and the air was heavy with the smell of gun powder. Now and then I would hear the sound of groans and cries.

I lay hid, for I don't know how long. I kept crouched under the table, listening, waiting.

Gradually, it calmed down. The gun shots seemed far away and the shed became deserted.

I still stayed hidden, dreading that a hand will grab me any moment. The sun went down lower and lower. And I still waited.

A long, long time passed before I made my move.

I crawled out from under the table, coughing in the smoke. The entire shed had been blown apart. I gingerly stepped outside.

The sunlight was almost gone. The fields where I was working hours ago were burning. Smoke spiraled up and haze making it difficult to see. Here and there bodies lay on the ground. But none of them seemed alive. The women, and their captors, everyone was gone. It looked like the aftermath of a war.

My feet took me forward, guided by instinct. My hands were still bound, ropes still tied around my waist. I stepped in the sanctuary of the crops and just kept walking forward.

 I stepped in the sanctuary of the crops and just kept walking forward