Of Injuries and Running

Start from the beginning

"You should stop touching your wound. It won't do you any good, my dear." He immediately retreated his hand looking at the girl in front of him confused.

"I need to do something, but I cannot remember what.", he said.

"Well, I cannot really help you but I'd say in your state it's no wonder you cannot remember a lot for now. We should get your wound cleaned and try to patch it up."

Will just looked at her indifferently.

"That means, let's leave this place as who knows when the Germans return. I have a hiding spot not far from here that we could go to to get a closer look at your injury."

The soldier still looked at her sceptically. Emma herself wasn't too sure why she was just inviting a random stranger to her room but she felt as if she needed to help him out. The British man didn't appear to be the kind of person you shouldn't trust but Emma was careful, nonetheless.

"I-... My name is William. William Schofield."

"Well, nice to meet you, William."

Emma stood up from the ground, gathering her supplies back into her backpack also picking up her dagger and the newly achieved rifle.

"Still has a few shots." she mumbled to herself as she strapped it over her shoulder.

Making her way down a few stairs Emma looked back at Will who was still looking at her without having moved an inch.

"Come on, grab your stuff and let's get going. The night won't last forever and soon the sun will start to rise.", she stated, going back up the stairs holding out her hand to the man. He took it as she helped him stand up. They quickly left the house together, looking around for any potential dangers.

~*~

~*~

The city of Écoust was engulfed in even more flames than before

The city of Écoust was engulfed in even more flames than before. The sizzling sound of flare guns being fired could be heard and every few seconds they lit up in the sky. Emma couldn't understand why this was the German soldiers' way of celebrating, it was disgusting her. The light obviously made it easier for them to walk around the ruins and to find their way back - although Emma knew every street and all the ways to her hiding spot by heart - but it also made it harder for them to hide in the shadows.