Pain

Debris rained from the ancient castle's ceiling, the ground shook as It was met by harsh impacts of spells, rubble, and bodies- no. Corpses. 

Hermione was pressed flat against a wall in the entrance hall, her entire body strained to run to the other witches and wizards - to her friends, but no matter how much she struggled and how much tried to tear her limbs away, she remained trapped firmly against the wall, as if she and the wall were two magnets dragging towards each other. 

Hermione cried at her helplessness as she was forced to watch her classmates, her professors, the people she loved die before her very eyes. 

A noise born of pure fury and suffering raged up from her gut as she shut her eyes and screamed at it to stop. 

When she forced her eyes open again, everything was black and Hermione was met with the most ear ringing silence she's ever encountered. 

Then the tip of a wand exploded with light, trailing- no. Dancing through the darkness. Hermione knew she should run, knew she should try to escape from this crushing darkness that suffocated her. 

But she couldn't help but follow the lights trail through the dark night until the small light stopped a foot away from her face. 

The wand tilted ever so slightly and Hermione's body went numb with terror. 

The wand had illuminated the woman that haunted her nightmares and her waking thoughts. The woman that had inflicted more pain than Hermione knew existed in this world. 

"Hello there muddy," Bellatrix's eyes lit up haunting delight at the terror flooding Hermione's eyes, Hermione's quivering lip drew Bellatrix's eyes and Hermione could have sworn fire danced in her eyes, "I see you've missed me."

Bellatrix's finger brushed against the carving in Hermione's arm and Hermione involuntarily released a heart breaking sob into the air. 

Bellatrix cackled at the sound, her fingers scraping across the now open scar on Hermione's arm, "Oh how I've missed your whimpering pet."

Hermione bit her lip in defiance, refusing to let the any other noises of weakness escape. 

Bellatrix simply lifted her hand and struck Hermione across the face so hard Hermione's mouth filled with the taste of copper. 

"It's cute that you think you can hold out against my tactics mudblood," Bellatrix smiled of serpentine. 

Bellatrix retreated a step and Hermione's body sagged in relief seconds before Bellatrix spun her wand and the word that echoed daily in her mind was spat out from Bellatrix's lips.

"Crucio."

Pain. 

Roaring pain filled every square inch of Hermione's body until she could not contain the screams as Hermione's body erupted into flame... at least that's what it felt like. 

Hermione's eyes flew open and was met with a room full of darkness, her breathing severely labored, she scrambled for a light, her wand, anything

She found a string connected to the lamp on her bedside table and hugged herself into a tight ball as she let the panic attack wash over her. 

The sooner she confronted it, the sooner it would be done. 

Hermione stayed in that fetal position for a long while, eyes thrown wide in an effort to keep them from closing- from pulling her back into those nightmares. 

It wasn't until her body stopped shaking that Hermione unwrapped her arms from her legs and assessed the damage she'd done. 

The sheets were all thrown off of the mattress and the comforter now contained long shredding from her nails, the fabric splitting in two. 

The biggest thing, though, was the blood that soaked into the mattress, into the sheets, and covered her skin in a red smear. 

Hermione pinched her lips tight and her eyes twitched in exhaustion. 

She could not- would not go back to sleep.

Hermione cleaned the sheets and dressed the scar, cursing the blade laced with a magic which prevented the wound from healing fully. 

She looked at the clock and sighed in despair. 

It was only 2 am. 

Realization struck her suddenly and she threw on a less flimsy shirt to pair with her sleeping shorts as she tiptoed out of the common room. 

"'Mione?" Fred's voice croaked, concern laced in every letter.

Hermione turned slightly, not letting Fred see the exhaustion underneath her eyes or the slimness of her cheeks, "I'll be right back, Fred."

Hermione turned on her heels and stalked away before Fred could protest. 

She was tired. Even more, she was tired of being tired. 

Every night the nightmares claimed her, every morning she'd collapse into a state of pure exhaustion before taking an energy drought to keep people from questioning. 

It wasn't until she had reached Madam Pomfrey's door that she realized she might have been better off keeping the nightmares to herself. 

Hermione sucked in a breath and knocked before she could convince herself to walk away. 

Her heart rammed against her chest and Hermione's knees nearly buckled with relief as Madam Pomfrey opened the door, a vial already in her hand. 

Hermione opened her mouth to explain before Madam Pomfrey cut her off by placing her hand on her shoulder, "I know sweetheart."

She then proceeded to place seven vials into her hands while explaining to Hermione that the sleeping draught would not erase the memories, but simply give her a full night of quiet, dream free sleep. 

"Come back every Sunday night for these," Madam Pomfrey's eyes sparkled, but were surrounded by guilt and dread, and utter sadness. 

As Madam Pomfrey shut the door, Hermione burst into tears of utter relief. 

• • •

So little update time :)

It was my 17th birthday yesterday and I am completely overwhelmed by all your birthday wishes like that's insane! Thank you guys so much, you truly are amazing. 

Also, just finished the third book of A Court of Thorns and Roses. I admit, I was very skeptical what with all the hype the book gets. The first book is definitely slow and I almost didn't finish the series but I'm so freaking glad that I stuck with it like oh my gosh. Feyre and Rhysand and their relationship is absolute gold. I was just thinking about like one shots I could write for them but like I couldn't even write anything that would give it what it deserves. 

Also summer has officially begin so I shall try my best to update regularly but like sometimes I really do just forget so if its been a while just blow up my wattpad, then I'll feel guilty and then I'll write a lot lol.