Join the Dark Side

Hermione was currently sitting in what Harry, Ron, and Hermione had claimed to be their compartment on the Hogwarts Express.

She looked around at her best friends in the compartment, calculating.

Harry has grown a lot over the past years at Hogwarts, physically but more evidently mentally. His unruly hair hung over his eyes and his glasses slid to the tip of his nose when she train jerked every once in a while. He's grown wiser. Sure, he was still an idiot and did stupid, life threatening things, but the war had calmed him down and Hermione thinks it's for the best.

Ron sat next to him, which was a change to the normal seating arrangement. Normally, Ginny would be pressed up against his side or sucking his face, but after the war Harry and Ginny had fallen out, both deciding they'd rather have each other as friends than anything else. Ron and Hermione had a spark, but the war blew that flame right out, leaving that part of their relationship as a "what could have been".

He'd gotten more freckles over the summer, something that always shocked Hermione after not seeing him for so long. His hair was also quite long, covering the tips of his ears. Hermione grimaced, Merlin, I hope this isn't like fourth year where they all looked like idiots with their long hair. Ron had also matured, but his emotional range still remained the size of a teaspoon. Yet another contributing factor to the failed attempt at being something more than friends.

Ginny sat next to Hermione, her head rested on Hermione's lap and she skimmed a magazine, laughing and reading aloud Reeta Skeeter's ridiculous stories she's created.

"How the hell is she still employed?" Hermione grimaced, "I mean, certainly people can see through her lies!"

"Hate to tell ya 'Mione," Harry sighed, "but the whole wizarding world wasn't at the battle. They had to gather information from the likes of Skeeter. Everybody's got a different version of the story to tell."

"Bloody ladybug," Ginny rolled her eyes and she sat up, pressing her face against the window, her eyes darting outside in search for one of the bugs, "I've made it an instinct to step on any lady bug I come across."

Harry threw her an exasperated look.

She simply grinned, "Repeatedly."

Hermione let out a breathy laugh and sighed, "So, I figured this year we should at least semi benefit from our suffrage."

Ron frowned over his container of Bertie Botts Every Flavor Beans, "What do you mean?"

Hermione shrugged, "Figured we're seven for seven on the whole not being able to complete a year at Hogwarts, the odds are looking pretty good for this year considering our history. Anyone interested in a bet?"

The other teenagers laughed. 

Gin grinned, "I'll bet two galleons."

Ron nodded in agreement, "Me too."

Harry smiled, but shook his head, "Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I think we have a good shot this year. I'll bet a galleon the other side."

They turned to me and I smiled at Harry, "You know, I'll join you, we've got to keep this bet interesting."

A knock at the compartment drew their attention and the door opened to reveal the new headmistress - McGonagall.

"Good afternoon you four," her eyes twinkled, "It's good to see you all came back together."

Harry looked at the other three and smiled back at McGonagall, "Couldn't miss the last opportunity we had to try a normal year at Hogwarts."

She chuckled, "Well, for your sakes, I hope it lives up to your expectations."

"Is there something you needed, Professor?" Ginny asked, curious.

"Yes, thank you Miss. Weasley," McGonagall turned to face Hermione, "Miss. Granger, as you're well aware, you have been chosen to be head girl this year. In the letter I sent you this summer I believe I said I would inform you of your duties on the train."

Hermione nodded, suddenly vary aware of the eyes burning into her, "Yes Professor."

"Well, If you wouldn't mind retrieving the head boy for me, then I'd like to meet you in the staff compartment in the first car of the train to discuss the details."

Hermione nodded, "Of course, Professor. Who exactly am I going to retrieve?"

McGonagall's lips pursed and Hermione had a sick twist in her gut, "Draco Malfoy."

Ron choked on one of his candies and wheezed.

Ginny flat out exclaimed, "What!?"

McGonagall narrowed her eyes slightly at Ginny, "Is there something wrong with my selection, Miss. Weasley? Do you not feel that I made the appropriate decision selecting Mr. Malfoy as head boy?"

Ginny opened her mouth, to let McGonagall know just exactly how wrong of a decision it was when Harry cut her off.

"No, Professor," McGonagall turned to Harry, "Ginny was simply expressing her surprise. It's just an odd match, Hermione and Malfoy."

McGonagall's lips twitched in the corner as she said, "Indeed it is. Now, Miss. Granger, if you wouldn't mind retrieving Mr. Malfoy from the Slytherin compartments, then we can begin discussing this year immediately."

McGonagall then turned and walked swiftly out of the doorway and down the car of the train.

There was a moment of silence in the compartment. It was the calm before the storm.

"What the hell, 'Mione!?" Ginny swatted Hermione's arm lightly, "Why didn't you tell us you made head girl!?"

Hermione waved her off, "It just didn't seem like the most pressing moment at the time, Gin."

"Well, we're proud of you, 'Mione," Harry grinned.

Hermione relaxed slightly, "Thanks, Harry."

"Sucks that you have to deal with Malfoy though," Ron grimaced.

Hermione sighed and stood, "Who knows, maybe the war scared some sense into him."

"I guess you can dream," Ron sighed, shoving a handful of candy into his mouth.

"Well, I'll meet up with you guys at the feast tonight," Hermione said before slipping out of the compartment, tightening her Hogwarts robes over her body and making her way to the last couple of train cars, the train cars infested with Slytherins. 

Hermione reached a door to the beginning of the Slytherin cars with a large S burned into the door. Hermione rolled her eyes at that and opened the door.

Conversation died the instant she stepped into the car. 

"Granger," Blaise Zabini smirked from his seat in a booth in the corner of the car, Malfoy and the rest of his goons surrounded him, "Come to join the dark side?"

Astoria cackled next to him. 

Hermione rolled her eyes at him, "I'm here for Malfoy."

Malfoy tilted his head slightly, his eyes gleaming and his finger tapped against the side of a glass of fire whiskey, "Miss me that much, Granger?"

Hermione scoffed, "Don't flatter yourself. McGonagall sent me to get you. You and I are expected in the staff compartment."

"And why the hell would I go with you, Granger?" Malfoy smirked.

Hermione was losing patience, "I'm not going to drag you, Malfoy. You're head boy and I'm head girl. McGonagall wants to talk to us about the heads' duties. Feel free not to come, then maybe the title could go to someone who deserves it."

With that, Hermione stalked out of the compartment, slamming the door behind her. 

She paused for a moment in the corridor, taking a second to try and get her heart rate down to normal and her blood to stop boiling. 

That stupid smirk he slung on his face pissed her off more than she wished to admit. 

The door opened behind her and she turned to see Malfoy sneering at her, "Let's get this over with, Granger."