Thirty Two - Please hang on!

A/N: Short chapter

A/N: Short chapter. 🔥

Jeongguk's Scenes ~

Scrabbling for his phone in his bulky uniform he jammed his thumb onto Taehyung's contact and prayed that he would pick up. He knew Taehyung had headed home a few hours ago, and he should be in his apartment, and that thought alone scared him.

Come on Tae, please pick up, please tell me you're okay!

He thought frantically, gripping the side of the truck as it swerved and took a sharp turn. Everything seemed to be going in slow motion, when he was redirected to voicemail for the third time he felt his stomach drop. Shit, fuck! Taehyung was either just asleep and didn't hear his calls or he could be trapped in the fire and can't make it to his phone.

The world seemed to come back to him at an alarming pace, the sirens too loud in his ears, echoing through his head. For a few seconds before the fire truck came to an abrupt stop, before Lieutenant Sejin or any of his team could stop him, Jeongguk was already leaping out of the truck.

He hit the ground running and made his way towards the other firefighters who were already on the scene. He asked the closest fireman to him to give him an update on the situation. He needed to know what floors had been affected by now.

"...Top floors from level seventeen and down to level fifteen have been affected by the flames--"

Before the other fireman could finish briefing him, Jeongguk was running again. Wasting no time, he entered the emergency stairs from the back of the building and made his way up as fast as his legs could carry him, praying that Taehyung would be okay until he got there, or maybe he had already been saved?

He knew he couldn't afford to wait and hope. He needed to see for himself, to make sure that Taehyung would be alright. His heart was thundering against his rib cage so loud, he could barely hear his own thundering footsteps.

Come on please, don't do this to me, please don't. ... I need you and I will save you now!

Taehyung's Scenes ~

It was hot, why was it so hot? Taehyung's brows furrowed in his sleep, and kicked off his comforter. After a few seconds, he realized it was actually getting hotter. Why? Reluctantly, he opened his eyes, only to see his room was slightly grey and hazy.

His sleepy brain tried to process what was going on, but then a coughing fit hit him, and he realized the entire room smelt like smoke and it was getting hard to breathe. After a brief moment of confusion, he snapped out of his dreamland as realization hit him.

Fire! His apartment was on fire. He needed to get out!

Covering his nose and mouth with his sleeve, he swung himself out of bed and made his way towards his bedroom door. The smoke made it hard to see and he couldn't stop coughing.

Once he got to the door, he reached for the handle only to retract his hand when it was hot to the touch. Panic started to rise in his chest -- he couldn't get out of his room! Looking for his phone he quickly grabbed it and realized he had several missed call from Jeongguk.

Did Jeongguk know about the fire?  With shaky hands, he clicked on Jeongguk's contact. He heard his phone ring, while he continued to cough and moved as far away from his bedroom door as possible. The smoke was getting worse and the heat was slowly creeping into his room from the door.

Come on Gguk-ah, please pick up!

When his call didn't go through, he tried once more. He's a paramedic, yes, he went through alot of intense incident, but this happens while he's still in daze. Slowly, him being panic turned into dread. His lungs were burning and he couldn't breathe.

His vision began to blur, and he slumped down to the ground, phone still clutched tightly in his hands. All he could do now was pray that help arrived in time. Was this how he was going to die? Alone in his apartment?

It was almost funny. He rarely ever came home to rest, and yet one of the few times he did, something like this just had to happen. It was just his luck. Taehyung gave up on dailing the other. He ends the calls and shakily got back up to his feet and tried to get the door again, but it had only gotten worse, the handle even hotter than before.

Forced to stepped back, Taehyung found himself desperately trying to screamed for help but his consciousness was slipping and he knew he was running out of time.

Jeongguk was up thirteen floors when his phone ring. He didn't have time to check his phone, but the dread builds up in his stomach spiked when he realized it was Taehyung the one calling him. -- Because of the ringtone set for the caller. He quickened his pace even further, pushing his body to move faster still.

When the calls didn't stop even when he reached up to level fifteen, his heart totally clenching, he wanted to pick up, he really did, but he couldn't afford to stop. Because every seconds counts! He tried his very best to fight back his emotions and focus on moving.

I'm coming Taehyung, please hang on !

He thought in desperation, and when he reached floor seventeen and the calling stopped, he felt his own heart stop. No no no no, he was so close, just a few more minutes. Jeongguk felt morbid relief hit him when he spotted the thick smoke and flames a minute later.

Somehow.. his subconscious mind flashing back to the moment he went through a flashover... burns on his skin... getting trap with no way out...

But, when his mind clicks back to Taehyung the one traps inside, he knew he will pass through all of his fear because, one he is a firefighter and he can't make himself dwell up too long.  Taehyung needs him and here he is,
successfully able to forgetting his trauma towards the big flames. He finally made it!

 He finally made it!