CHAPTER SIXTEEN

Magsimula sa umpisa

"Hi!" I said, brightly and then I really looked at him.

There was a glass of amber liquid in his hand. His hair was a mess, unlike his usual well-groomed style and there was a look of utter confusion on his face.

"Rosalie?" he said, his brow furrowing.

"Is something wrong?" I asked him, my smile faltering, "We had a meeting scheduled for right now. Did something change?"

"Oh, God," he said, under his breath, "Come on in, Rosalie. You should be seated for this."

He turned around and walked into the house, his head hanging low. I closed the door behind me and walked in.

"Would you like a drink?" he asked, gesturing to the beverage trolley in the corner, "You can actually have one this time."

I shook my head, even though he couldn't see it, and frowned in confusion. Aiden's behaviour was getting more peculiar by the minute. "No, thanks," I told him, setting my binder on the coffee table, following him with my eyes as he slowly made his way to glass panels that overlooked the city. "Aiden, is something wrong?" I asked, knowing fully well that something was definitely wrong.

He was quiet, one had against the glass pain, his head bowed, just staring at the lights below. I slowly walked over to him.

"Everything's quite bright, isn't it?" he asked, as I got closer to stand a few feet away from him, "Looking from up here. Everything seems to bright. I'd never stopped to notice it before."

I looked at him. There was a small, but happy smile on his face.

"Aiden, what's going on?" I asked him.

"Well, Rosalie, it would seem that Caroline and I are no longer together," he said, downing the last sip of his drink.

I stood there, sandwiched between his piano and the glass panels, completely dumbfounded. I turned my head to look at him, but I couldn't say anything.

"I'm sorry, but that would mean that we no longer require your services," he said, probably misinterpreting my expression.

I opened my mouth and inhaled to say something, but no words managed to form.

"I'm sure the advance we paid you can cover your effort so far," he said, his head bowed to the ground.

I frowned. "Aiden, are you alright?" I asked, not really caring about the advance payment a billionaire gave me.

He raised his head slightly to look at me and seemed to realize, almost for the first time, that I was actually in his house. He straightened himself fully and stood tall and confident like he normally does.

"What do you mean?" he asked, turning and making his way to the counter to pour himself another drink.

I angled myself to look at him.

"You just broke off an engagement. You broke up with your fiancée. How are you doing?" I asked.

He turned to me, with his brow furrowed. "I'm fine," he said, waving his freshly replenished glass around.

I took a few steps towards him as I spoke. "You're practically drowning yourself in that liquor, Aiden. Obviously, something is wrong," I told him.

He cracked a smile. "I guess I've taken a page out of your book then," he joked, "At least I'm not a lightweight. I promise I won't demand that you buy me junk food."

I didn't laugh; I couldn't. "Aiden, it's alright to be sad or upset," I said, "This isn't a small thing. You two obviously had a relationship that –"