36: Loyalties

Alice isn't answering. Daniel isn't answering. Mason has no phone to answer. Realisation hits me with sudden, shocking force: I'm on my own.

I guess not much has changed.

Mom and Detective Marshall are huddled on the couch in the living room. The faint sounds of TV drift out through the narrow gap in the door. They can't see me. They're wrapped in their own worlds, clinging to hope and safety wherever it may lie. Aunt Marian's already in bed. No one's going to notice my absence. Better that way.

I take a deep breath and pry open the front door, double checking the knife and Mace are secure in my pockets. One last glance at my remaining family. A silent goodbye. Then I'm stepping outside and closing the door behind me, ready as I'll ever be. Time to save the town and find my sister.

Or die failing.

I move like a hurricane on legs, fuelled by the need to protect the one person who matters most. Cars blur past, unaware of the danger they're in. A painful screech of tires erupts from my left and someone hammers on the car horn. I don't apologise or even acknowledge my reckless behaviour, just keep moving, feet slapping off solid ground. There's a crackling pop overhead, and then numerous whoops and cheers ring out. Dogs bark with renewed terror. The heavens light up like a beacon, a kaleidoscope of rainbow colours as more fireworks illuminate the sky.

A stitch grows in my chest, my muscles burning from fatigue as I come to a stop by the entrance of the green. A bonfire burns inside, smoke billowing up like fat grey clouds. The crowd of onlookers lucky enough to have secured tickets huddle together in their winter coats and gloves, watching the fireworks display with keen interest. A lump forms in my throat. Lena and I used to come here with Dad when we were younger, and sometimes Mason would tag along too. Before everything went wrong.

I feel it again, that ball of fury swelling up in my chest, gnawing my insides and setting them alight. A rage, hotter than hell, eclipses the frosty chill that's present in the atmosphere. I've never used a knife on anyone before, but knowing I've got it now is a comfort. Because I know what I want tonight. And it's not a peaceful compromise.

After twenty minutes of relentless sprinting, I turn onto the street where my destination waits. It sits like a god among mere mortals, towering above the smaller businesses and beckoning to all who dare walk past. A spherical, gleaming metal construction, with a high-arched roof and multi-story parking lot stationed on its left: the Hopewood hockey arena. The lights outside are switched off. The burger stand has its shutters pulled down. It looks so quiet, so unassuming. But I know better.

Clutching the Mace, I make my way up to the stadium. Using the main entrance is too obvious – whoever's inside would be on me in seconds. I head for the car park instead. There are skywalks on each floor that lead into the main building. It's as empty as the street outside, with not a single parked vehicle in sight. I duck under the restricting barrier and take the stairs up to the first floor.

No one's there. Even the skywalk is devoid of life. What if I'm wrong? What if I've misinterpreted everything and Lena isn't here at all –?

 "April?"

The voice comes from behind me. I freeze, hand instinctively slipping into my pocket and wrapping around the knife's hilt.

"April, is that you?"

I grip the weapon tight and bite my lip, heart thudding against my ribcage as footsteps slap off the floor behind me. That voice – it's so familiar. My eyes shoot to the glass windows on either side of me, watching his reflection as he advances.

Then I release my breath and turn around.

He jogs across the skywalk to catch up, black hair messy and windblown, and I'm stunned into silence, feet twisting on the spot as the fight or flight instinct takes in. I inch back, making up my mind –