/forty-two

CHAPTER FORTY TWO:

" LET AUNT MAY SAY FUCK "

"So..." Tim began, bouncing his leg nervously as he stared across the table at Peter's Aunt May.

Tony had left for his universe, tailed by a still chattering Bart, fifteen or so minutes ago. Bruce had begun a more proper introduction with May but his phone had gone off, and he had rushed to the Batcave, saying something about the Joker and Gotham National Bank.

This left a properly chastised Peter and Tim to stay with a deeply unimpressed May, who had said she needed 'time to think' and had sat deep in thought since then.

May looked up to meet his eye, "Are you— are you," she looked from Peter to Tim, "do you have powers too?"

She looked tired— how many heroes did she know besides Tony?

Tim scratched the back of his neck uncertainty, "Well— not technically—"

"Tim I watched your brother stab a man four times his size."

Did she think he was lying?

He laughed awkwardly, aware that Peter was now also watching him intently rather than studying the wood grain texture of their dining table.

"Yeah he does that. But we don't have powers per se. Well Jason might, I'd have to ask him. He came back from the dead so like... there's definitely some weird stuff going on with him..." Tim realized that he was rambling, and stopped himself quickly at the look on May's face.

May ran her hands through her hair, "So you're some sort of superhero?"

Tim shrugged awkwardly.

May laughed mirthlessly, "Fuck Pete— how do you keep getting yourself into these situations?"

It was a rhetorical question, but Peter was quick to try to comfort his Aunt, "I swear I don't mean to, things just sort of... happen." He chewed on his lip, "And it's not a reflection on you as a parent! You're great May."

Tim looked at the pair, "What other situations?"

Peter blushed, "Well—"

"You haven't told him?" May was surprised.

"I was going to!" Peter was defensive.

"Tell me what?" Tim was suddenly very aware that they were sitting in the open of his dining room. Damian was most certainly listening in from somewhere.

"I kind of um..." Peter made a face, "I'm kind of uh... a superhero on my Earth." He mumbled the end bit but Tim still caught it.

Tim blinked owlishly at Peter, "Wait really? But you're so..." He trailed off, trying to picture his boyfriend beating the shit out of someone.

"He's so what?" May asked, sounding a little offended on her kid's behalf.

Peter was trying to hide a smile as Tim tried to think of an adjective that wouldn't set May off.

"Nonviolent."

"Well I mean I don't, like—" Peter lowered his voice, "kill people."

"I totally would." Jason's voice startled all three seated at the table as he leaned on the archway, eating yogurt and watching them all.

"This is, this is Jason." Tim said, wincing at May's first introduction to his brother.

Jason looked somewhat unkempt, as though he had just woken up from a particularly good nap. The white patch in his hair was sticking straight up, and his steel gray eyes looked colder than usual. Tim was certain he was annoyed about being left home while Bruce dealt with the Joker, and the fact that the Joke was still even alive. The two had argued about it on several occasions, but Bruce was adamant about his no-kill policy.

Jason smiled sarcastically around a spoonful of yogurt, "Alfred wants to know if anyone wants tea or coffee or— whatever else."

May licked her lips, "Do you guys have whisky?"

Jason barked out a laugh, "A woman after my own heart, I got you."

AUTHOR'S NOTECould I have made this chapter longer? YesWas I planning on making it longer? Also yesBut did I? No. It's 1:30am and I'm not in the mood okay give me some slack. I'll be back with another chapter tonight so get off my backthank you I love you all :)