I sat down at the stool and opened the lid. I hadn't played the piano in months, probably over a year. It was Rosalie who reminded me of how much it helped me think. Carmelina had kept it clean, but I hadn't touched it.

I took a deep breath and touched my fingers to the keys.

It was at that exact moment that the bell rang.

My hands thudded down on the keys making a cacophonous noise. I looked in the direction of the door, though I couldn't see it.

"Carmelina!" I called, "Are you still here?"

There was silence.

I sighed and got up to answer the door. The last person I would have ever expected stood on my doorstep:

Decked from head to toe in red, there stood, Caroline Baxter, my wonderful, loving fiancée.

"Aiden," she barked at me and I flinched. She gave me a huge smile and breezed in, easily planting a soft kiss on my lips, before she waltzed past me into my house.

I stood at the door, still holding it open, wondering what in the world had just happened. Caroline and I had never kissed before, but now here she was, walking into my house and kissing me like she had been doing it her whole life. I was worried that she had been possessed.

"Caroline?" I asked, slowly and suspiciously, shutting the door and walking behind her.

"Yes, darling?" she asked, turning around and looking at me, "Is there something on my face?"

"Caroline, did I forget something?" I asked, completely confused.

"I'm sorry?" she said, looking around, also confused.

"Are we supposed to be meeting for something today? Did I forget an event or something?" I asked.

She looked around again. "No," she said, and then smiled. "I came to tell you to accompany me to the gala this evening."

"What gala?" I asked, walking towards the living room.

Caroline followed me. "The press gala that Versatility is hosting," she said.

"I'm really not in the mood, Caroline," I told her, pouring myself a drink.

"But you must be there, Aiden," Caroline insisted, her expression pleading me, "People will look for you."

I turned to her, sitting on the arm of the sofa. "Caroline, I didn't even know such an event was in existence until you mentioned it ten seconds ago. So, I highly doubt that anyone in the fashion industry will be looking for me there. I'm a businessman, Caroline, not a model."

Caroline's face changed as she came closer to me, a smile or rather, a smirk crossing her face. I watched, glass in hand, as she crossed the living room floor, slowly, seductively and came to me, looking at me from beneath her cosmetically enhanced eyelashes.

She put her hands with her perfectly manicured nails on my chest and breathed in deeply, staring me in the eyes. "You could definitely be a model, Aiden."

If I wasn't scared before, I was scared now. I felt like she was just buttering me up to kill.

I cleared my throat and got up, quickly.

"Huh, thanks," I said, giving her a small smile, involuntarily scratching the back of my head.

Caroline looked at me. She hadn't moved from the sofa. "So, you'll come?" she asked.

"Excuse me?"

"For the gala? Will you come?" she batted her eyelashes at me.

I frowned. "No, Caroline, I told you. I don't even know what this event is. I don't even know anyone there," I said, shaking my head.