25

《Peter》
I watched as Flynn's hands disappeared beneath the surface. I desperately looked around, wide-eyed, for any sign of life in the river. Scott stood on the other side of the river, tears rolling over his pale cheeks. He kneeled down next to the roaring water, trying to find any sign of life from his brother. It looked like he was about to jump in after him. My stomach took a turn when I realized what he was doing.

"Scott get away from the water! Go get your parents, quickly!" I yelled, running a bit to the direction which the water was going to. Scott did the same while he looked at me with desperation in his eyes. I gave him a pitying look but it turned into a panicked one rather quickly. "Please Scott, it's not safe to stay here! Go get your parents, they can help me get your brother out!" I yelled. The sound of the water seemed to get louder with the second, making the one thing I needed to do alot more difficult; staying calm.

"I need to swim to get to your side!" He yelled. I looked over my shoulder, where the wooden house was standing in the far distance. "Don't cross the lake here, run to the other side and swim as fast as you can!" He nodded quickly and began to run to the other side as I follwed the stream of the lake.

Normally I would never pray for something, except for when May was in the hospital in a critical condition. But now I was begging out loud, hoping that someone above me could hear it. "Please God, please, don't let him die. Please don't let him die. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if he dies. Please, if someone can hear me, let me find him. I'm beggin you, let him be alive."

I squeezed my eyes when I saw something in the distance. My heart made a little jump and I ran towards the silhouette, hoping it was the person I had been praying for. Silent tears fell down my cheeks when I saw who it was. The weak body of Flynn was placed on a wet stone in the middle of the river. The warm feeling in my chest quickly made place for a sickening one.

He wasn't moving.

I prayed in my head that I saw it wrong, that I was too far away to see it. The urge to vomit became bigger when I saw blood pouring from a deep wound on his forehead. I tried my best to keep it in, which succeeded. The feeling didn't go away, the sickness in my stomach was still the only thing I could feel besides the fear.

Time was running out. Every second that the boy laid there longer could be the moment of his fate. I can't let him die, not here. I took a deep breath of air and jumped into the water, which was surprisingly deep. I was surrounded by the water. My panicked state and the dirt in the water made me unable to see where the surface was. I took a few dangerous turns, hitting my leg at a stone one time. I screamed in pain as I could feel the bone break. The regret of my action soon followed in my chest, since I didn't have any air in my lungs at this point.

I decided to swim to one direction, hoping it was the right one. It took me a few good seconds to realise I had chosen the wrong one. I turned around, this time facing the surface. I tried to use the muddy ground to push myself up, but my foot got stuck behind a root of some kind of water plant. The sharp sides cut my skin, which made escaping from its tight grip a lot more difficult. It felt like the root coiled around my foot to end my life here, drowning in the water. It was sliding over my leg like a predacious boa. I could feel it cutting my skin all over my leg by now, so I decided to pull.

After a few attempts it finally got loose. I swam to the surface, taking advantage of the gravity which helped me a lot. As my head flew over the edge of the water, I took in a big gulp of air. I noticed that the fast stream was dragging me through the river, so I had already passed Flynn's limp body. I took a sharp turn and swam to the other direction. The pain in my -now again broken- leg made the task ten times harder. Sticks and little stones were cutting my skin.