ArmySoldier!Bertholdt x Reader

~* There just isn't enough Bertholdt appreciation *~

"I'm gonna join the army." Your eight year old self looked at Bertholdt with a questioning gaze. You thought that sounded pretty cool, being innocent means that you aren't quite open to the harsh qualities war could bring yet.

"Maybe you'll become a general!" You exclaimed excitedly, gazing at him with a profound interest. Bertholdt laughed and you two talked for the rest of the day, getting in trouble twice with two teachers for talking too much.

High school came along eventually and you soon found out you had an interest in Bertholdt, having a huge crush on him. Apparently he also took an interest in you, so you two started dating. Now having a deep knowledge of war history, you were incredibly scared for his safety. After all these years, he still wanted to join the army.

You both passed senior year with flying colors, but that excitement didn't last very long. You were beginning to cook dinner at the house you and Bertholdt bought when he came home, holding a piece of paper in his hand.

"What's that?" You asked, and he flipped it around. It was an acceptance letter to Bertholdt from the army. He was going to join it.

"I applied for it and got an okay from them! I'm deployed to boot camp in two weeks! Isn't that great?" You swallowed thickly and gave him a nod. Bertholdt sighed and wrapped you up in his warm embrace, whispering words of comfort.

"How long will you be gone?" You asked softly.

"About 2 years, but I'll visit you when I can," Bertholdt promised, and you cried. How could you manage two years without him? The next two weeks were made enjoyable, making sure every last memory was saved. Bertholdt now stood at the front door, peeking through from time to time to see if the army truck was there yet. You sat in the living room, watching him through sad (e/c) eyes.

"They're here," Bertholdt said, walking into the living room. He pulled you into a passionate kiss, trying to make it last forever. Unfortunately, he had to pull away, waving goodbye. You waved back, tears streaming down your face.

It had now been 8 months since Bertholdt left. You tried incredibly hard to remain positive, but every day just got harder and harder. How you had survived eight months, you will never know. Daytime was okay, but at night is when it got hard. You missed the way he held you close, his chin resting on your head and your legs entwined, missed his body heat radiated off of him and onto you.

One day you were stirring some stew when you heard the doorbell ring.

"Just a minute!" You called, setting the pot off the stove and making your way to the door. You opened it and your eyes widened.

"Hey, ____."

"Bertholdt!" You cried, jumping into his arms and into a passionate kiss. You both pulled apart to breathe, you resting your forehead against his.

"How...?" You sobbed, tears of joy streaming down your face.

"They let us off early, since the war just ended. I've missed you, ____," Bertholdt smiled, gently wiping your tears away with his thumb.

"I've missed you, too," you sighed happily, resting your head against his chest.

~* At first I thought about making this sad, but I spared you all! :). Ciao, bellas! Ve~! *~