13: taken care of

My alarm pounding in my ears, in my chest, making me slowly push myself of the bed and press the 'off' button. I fall back into bed for several more seconds, soaking up all the warmth and comfort. But a moaning stomach demanded and I pushed the covers off of my bare legs. The floor was cold as I made my way into my bathroom. I flipped on the light switch, a burst of excruciating, bright light popping in front of me. It took my eyes several seconds to adjust before I made my way over to my sink. I splashed cold, bitter water on my tired skin, feeling it trickle all the way down my neck and on my chest. My cheeks were splotched red and dry from last night like streaks of fear.

Unusually I first made my way downstairs to the kitchen, my feet slipping down the stairs, now covered in warm socks. I was cautious and quiet, making sure that I was the only one down here. I nudged the fridge upon, the musty cold air fuming out from the cracks. Reaching in, I grabbed some milk and got a hefty box of Lucky Charms from the pantry. I poured the cereal into a wide bowl, the milk following. I pulled out a chair from the dining table and gazed outside upon the glittering snow as I inhaled my bowl of cereal, particularly digging for the marshmallows.

I headed up the steps after cleaning up everything. Soft light sneaked into the house through the crack between the blinds and the window sill, casting a pretty and subtle sunny daze on the wooden floor.

I shut my door before stripping of my minimal pajamas. I threw on a bra, some sheer black tights and black knee high socks layered on top with a burgundy skater skirt and a black sweater on top. I hooked up a long, silver necklace around my neck, the chain hanging right in between my breasts and the silver feather resting upon the top of my stomach. After curling my hair, brushing my teeth, and layering my lips with soft, pink lip gloss, I pulled on some short heeled black booties. I grabbed my bag and my phone and flew down the stairs. I started up my car and turned up the radio before pulling out the driveway and making my way to school. I checked my phone to see the only message that I really looked for; a message topped with Ayden's name.

I pulled into the school parking lot, parked, and threw my bag over my shoulder. I snatched my phone and headed inside to where usually me and some others waited. The first of my friends that I saw was Zahara, her blond hair curled and bouncy. She grinned and complimented me on my outfit, giving me a quick hug before Ayden came over. He had a smile on his face as always, his hair smooth and messy. I grinned at him as I placed my bag down. He made his way towards me before enveloping me in a giant hug, his long arms wrapping me up in warmth. He smelled like vanilla, coffee, and soap.

"You look beautiful, as always," he helloed, bending down to kiss me on the lips. His lips were smooth, warm, and wet.

"Thank you," I giggled. We both sat down next to each other, his dry yet still comforting hand naturally placed over mine. Students bustled throughout the main hallway, conversations compressed in the space in the building, laughter and smiles and shouts burrowing their way inside.

"Valerie and Zeke are going to the café after school, you wanna come with?" he asked, his voice deep and smooth and quiet.

"Sure. Can I meet you there?" he nodded. His hand slowly reached for my sleek, bouncy hair. His fingers gently combed through a thick bunch of full, soft hair. His hand moved down to my shoulder, down my arm, the hair on the back of my neck standing up. A bruise. I could feel the pang of memory fill up my head when the tips of his fingers hit it, making me grit my teeth and push him away with a sharp breath.

"You don't have to," he whispered, looking down again, adverting his eyes away. I bit my lip and furrowed my eyebrows. Have to tell me.

Before we headed to homeroom, he drew a circle on the back of my hand, kissed my cheek, and walked off.