chapter one: defcon solange

10 weeks later ...

"Check me out, bitches! I got my own room! My own room. So, let's not trash it. I don't wanna break my pimp couch before it gets some play,"

Liliana and Jamal look at each other with an 'are you serious?' look. Liliana turns her head and continues to sit at the small desk in the corner and scroll on her phone. Jamal looks around at the things placed in the room.

"High school is an opp for reinvention. So if I want to live a new life, I got to be a new man. It all starts with my kingdom," Ruby explains.

Jamal picks up a book. "Royal reading?"

"Ha. No. It's a conversation piece. And $2.99 at Ross. Enough chitchat, let's feng shui."

Monse walks through the door of Ruby's new room. "I'm back!"

Liliana looks up from her phone and smiles at Monse. "Oh hi! How was camp? Did you-"

Ruby cuts her off. "Can you move that side table?"

"No, seriously don't make such a fuss. I've only been gone all summer, but really, it's no big deal," Monse says sarcastically.

"How was camp?" Liliana continues. She gets up and moves to stand by Jamal.

"Camp was fine. Notice anything new?" Monse says while smiling.

"You got boobs," to which Liliana strikes them. "She got her braces off idiots!"

Monse crosses her arms over her chest. "You can wait for Cesar to help."

"Then we'll be waiting a reaaaally long time.,"

"Why? Where's Cesar?" Monse asks confused.

"We're not talking to him," Liliana replies as she sits down on Ruby's bed.

"You in a fight?"

"It wasn't really a fight. More like-," Jamal gets cut off.

"We're not getting into it. Trust us, Cesar's not cool," Ruby tries to finish.

Monse continues. "Well, I'm not cool being not cool. And why aren't you at football?"

"We should really get to orientation before those lines get too long," Liliana says as she gets up and walks towards the door.