CHAPTER I: THE LIMBO

It all starts with me; I'm Steve. I am a military man and I had just been promoted to lieutenant. I discovered the location of one of the biggest terrorist groups and we were able to destroy it. We lost several soldiers, but the victory was ours. One of the best days of my life, not only because I was promoted, but also because, although my father is not here, he was the reason why I joined the army. I wanted him to see that I can be strong, bold and able to protect my nation. And in a way I did. My buddies invited me to have a few beers at our favorite bar, since they gave us the whole week off.

- Cheers, to our dear friend Steve who is now a fucking lieutenant, "sir yes sir" hahahaa -says Rick, my best friend.

- Thank you, brother. I feel great that I can finally send you all to eat shit and won't be able to say no. -I'm responding with sarcasm.

- Oh! Son of a bitch! Well, at least let me have the ones that taste like chocolate.

- So... you got plans with a hottie? -asks Frank, another of my colleagues.

Rick looks at me with a worried face. Since he was the only one who knew about it. The truth is that I have always felt a great disappointment from my father all my life, not because I had problems with the family, or because I got bad grades, no. It was because I like men. I joined the army to show him that I could be as strong and tough as the military. He was happy, but I don't think it was for the same reason I was. I feel like he thought that by joining the army I would lose that way to think.

Rick was the only one I told about it. We were on a mission and I thought we were going to die, and I had to get it out of my system, thank God, we got out alive, Rick promised to keep the secret with his life. I hate this, being a gay military man is hell, most people don't accept it, it bothers them, they think we're weak. That's why I trained hard to get here, to earn their respect and defend my rights, no matter what.

- No, I'm actually too tired to think about that right now. -I answer to Frank.

- Bro, we should celebrate your big time. How about we go to Sexy Shoes? I heard they have the best dancers in all of DC.

- No, I'm really tired, I don't feel like it, I think I'll go to sleep for a while... see you later.

I leave the bar, while thinking about all this that consumes me, I hate that my colleagues do not know, they would be able to give their lives for me and I would give my life for them, all this is so confusing, sometimes I think about how my life should be without having to...

- STEVE! LOOK OUT! -Rick yells at me from the bar door.

When I turned around, I could only see that they were two guys and they had on their arm the terrorist symbol of the group that we destroyed, when I realized they have their weapons and started to shoot me, without mercy. Thanks to heaven, Rick and my other comrades came out and were able to kill them... But I was losing a lot of blood, I think this is the end of my story. Breathing was getting complicated and I had no idea what was happening.

- Steve, easy, brother! We're gonna get you out of here," says Rick, with tears in his eyes.

My eyesight gets blurry and the last thing I see is Rick's face, until... Everyone turns black and the sound disappears... I think I'm going to find out if I'm going to heaven or hell after all.

Everything is black... but I star to hear some kind of bells.

Suddenly I wake up in a kind of dark cabin, my body is completely sweaty, my wounds had disappeared. I have no idea what is happening, I see that around me there are several holes each one had a color outline: blue, red, black, white and purple. I try to get up and find something to help me understand what is happening, but breathing is a little difficult and I feel weak, the only thing I can find is a combat knife, similar to the one we use in the army, near a display "You'll need it" is what it says on a plate where the knife is.