Katharine reached over and shook the man's hand across the desk that separated the two.

"We'll see you when you get back, Agent Morgan," Davis said. "Be safe."

Katharine hesitated, before returning the sentiment. "You too, Davis."

Davis left her office as she flipped through the pages of the case once again. Looking between the case notes that had already been made and the photos, she felt as if she were looking at something familiar.

Katharine pulled at her hair. Something bigger was definitely at play here and the inability to pull her thoughts together was driving her insane.

She couldn't just flat out say that it was the work of HYDRA, but whoever had done it had most likely done so to gain her attention. After all, she was the last agent to have come in contact with the McHales, and after her was their handler.

Any interactions the McHales had were limited, only certain people even had access to their home. This automatically meant that they had a suspect list. Katharine bit her lip, closing the folder shut.

She had work to do.

JUST OVER AN HOUR LATER, Katharine found herself standing in front of a team of people who have yet to introduce themselves to her. Though in fairness, she had yet to introduce herself as well as she'd busied herself with setting up the case presentation.

The only person she'd been introduced to as of yet was their Unit Chief Aaron Hotchner, or Hotch, as he had preferred. Anyhow, Hotch was a dark-haired man in his early-forties that stood at roughly six-foot-two, almost evenly matching Katharine's own five-foot-ten.

She fiddled with the remote in her hand, eyes nervously glancing around as they waited on one last member of their team. Katharine used the time she had to run through her entire presentation again. First, she'd hand out the copies of the case files she'd had made, and then she'd deliver the suspect list which, unfortunately, she realized, included her.

Then, she'd lead them through the presentation that included a full rundown on the McHale family and the situation that they'd been caught up in.

It was a true tragedy, really. From birth, it seemed neither Mary nor Connor had really stood a chance. First, Mary's parents had been killed in a terrible bombing accident and then Connor's father was brutally murdered in front of him when he was two...

Yeah, neither of the McHales lived normal lives, or whatever normal was meant to be for two individuals that carried the X gene.

"I'm sorry I'm late. Traffic was a pain this morning."

Katharine looked up and her breath caught in her throat. Standing in the doorway stood Derek Morgan, the only person to know her better than she knew herself.

It had been years since she'd seen him. She still remembered the day she left home, vividly. It had rained on that day. She had her suitcase packed at her feet and Phil Coulson stood by an SUV along with some suited agents as she said goodbye to her family. Katharine had no idea how long she'd have to stay away but as it turned out, seven years was what it took.

"As I live and breathe, Derek Morgan," Katharine abandoned her laptop to approach the man. She didn't know whether to shake his hand or give him a hug, but it seemed he made up her mind for her.

He pulled her in for a tight hug, Katharine wrapping her arms around his stocky build.

"You got taller," he commented, an easy smile on his face.

Katharine pulled back from the hug, slapping his shoulder lightly. "Seven years and that's the first thing you say to me?"

"Do you two know each other?" asked one of the two blondes. She was wearing an extremely colorful dress with accessories to match. The glasses that rested on her face were square in shape and red in color. Her hair was curled, with the occasional streak of pink painted in it.