INTRODUCTION

It was an amazing day. We took our grandchildren to the zoo and the amusement park. I just wish that they have a carefree childhood and have a better teenage; not like mine. Though, I want them to be brave, wise and dedicated. I wish that they have a lot of memories to look back whenever they want to.

I am Lisa Carrey, a 68 year old lady, living in Miami, Florida, with my husband- Dan Carrey, son- Rolf Carrey, daughter- Rose Spears Carrey and of course, my grandchildren- Olivia and Peter. I have a step daughter too. Her name is Mila Carrey!

I am writing this book just for my grandchildren to read and learn about what kind of dangerous, emotional and highly unbearable my life was when I was a teenager. It all started when I was 14. My birthday used to fall on 28th of August. I had just turned 14. At that time, I used to live in South America in Brazil near the Amazon forest. We were poor and Dad was in army. He never came on my birthdays because he was really busy in his duties. He used to write me letters, but they were really seldom.

My life was pretty simple. I used to wake up at 6, and then I took a bath and then used to go to woods to collect dry wood. Our house was little, but it was filled with lots of love. I have a small sister too!

I had a best friend. Her name was Mellissima. Every year, the locality would go to the forest to please the god and to pray for good rain for the upcoming year. My mom was a part of that locality. So, she had to go to the forest with them. They didn't go to a small forest. They went to the Amazon forest. My mother advised me to stay at home and to take care of my little sister who was a toddler. Well, I am a law abiding person, so I remained at home and looked after my house.

After a week, the locality returned from theforest. When they came back, I rushed out of my house. They were dancingmerrily and were singing some regional songs. I was waiting for my mother, butshe wasn't there! I asked out everyone but no one knew where she was. I startedto panic. I went to the woods to find her, as she loved that place. But she wasnowhere to be

found. I was hopeless. I knew that the Amazon forest was dangerous. My grandma had told me once that her friend got lost in the forest and then they never met. I freaked out. I became totally mad. 

The night was cold, but I never felt so cold. The next day, I decided to go to the forest and find my mom. It was a firm decision and it changed my life. I packed up a small bag with food, water, clothes, blanket, ropes and knife. It didn't weigh too much, but the responsibility of my little sister did. So I handed my sister to Mellissima's mother who took care of her. Some people warned me not to go to the forest, but I was focused and I knew what to do. I was excited as well as a bit freaked out. My grandma used to tell me scary tales of this deadly forest which were stressing me the most. But I was determined about my decision.