Look Into My Eyes

Start from the beginning

"I was his nurse for two years while I lived in London. Mr Solomons sought me out after the war" and she looked at him, hoping that he saw the truth.

Tommy looked away "Why you?"

Amelia tried not to be offended at the question "Our head nurse Mary had suggested to Alfie that I take over his care as I'm the best in my field and after the two had failed to get along it was the obvious choice. Mr Solomons decided to have me vetted by his contacts before I was allowed to treat his condition"

Tommy stood up and made his way over to the window, keeping his back to her. Amelia decided to carry on to avoid the awkward silence that was now hanging over the room.

"When I went to London last week he had his driver pick me up to treat him, he knew about my return as I selling my house to be here permanently. Mr Solomons had mentioned you briefly, he was hoping that I would share some information of interest"

"And did you?" he asked.

"No. I simply did my job and left" she hissed, the inflection of his tone finally getting under her skin.

Tommy cleared his throat "Mr Solomons believes you have secrets" he drawled before taking a slow drag of his cigarette. 

Amelia looked down at her lap to avoid having to stare at his back any longer. Secrets? the man was insane, ever since the first day of meeting Alfie he thought she had secrets, a dark past that only he could figure out.

"I have no secrets from you Tommy" and she sighed before rubbing her eyes, the day had wore on for to long and she just wanted to clear this up.

Tommy still didn't turn to face her, he was too busy watching the rain thrash down, hitting the cobbles and washing away the dirt. Tommy hadn't involved her in any business nor spoke about any of his dealings in great detail- she had never asked either. There was a mutual understanding that for her protection the less she knew the better.

Had Alfie just got into his head to watch him crack?

"Alfie Solomon has a rare condition that has taken over his skin. Unless treated it will spread quickly into his blood and then his bones. I did not treat him as a friend or informant. I did it as a nurse. I don't care for the war between gangsters. I just wanted to do my job. It was the same for you Tommy, I cared for your brother when he killed a man, I cared for you when you got shot....." Amelia sighed, it was useless. Tommy wasn't turning around to look at her.

How could she plead her case when he refused to look at her?

Amelia stood up suddenly embarrassed that she was pleading with him to reason. If this had been anybody else she would of left by now but he was different. Picking up her bag she slowly waited for him to turn around at the noise but he didn't.

Amelia sighed and placed her hat back on her head.

"I understand why this is hard for you Tommy but I haven't gone through hell and back for you, just to stand here and be ignored. If you remember I was kidnapped and sliced open for you, slapped and whispered about...." and with her stinging words she left her office and slammed the door.

---

Tommy had gone to London without a word to Amelia or his family to which Ada thought was pretty normal for her brother. Amelia on the other hand knew differently. Tommy had gone away to think, it was the gypsy blood in his veins. Whenever it got difficult the urge to keep moving was prominent.

In his absence Amelia was still treated well by the Peaky Blinders which included Polly. They had understood her reasons and although the connection was a little too close for their liking they chose to believe her. It had been her response from the start that had salvaged it all, Amelia hadn't cared to be involved so she had no information to give.

Ada was the first one to take her side to which Amelia was eternally grateful. So, in hopes to cheer Amelia up Esme and Ada had dragged her baby shopping for Esmes arrival. As they walked the streets with the fancy small boutiques Amelia was in total awe at the way people moved when they saw the three women.

Protected and to be feared she thought. That's what Tommy had said to her one late night. Would Amelia begin to fear Tommy if he called their relationship off and decided he didn't believe her?

"I think it's a girl" Ada said as she picked up a hand knitted pink cardigan.

Amelia laughed at Esme's reaction, the mum to be still not ready to be a mother "It better not be a fucking boy. The house is full of em as it is"

Amelia's fingers roamed over a deep purple romper which she picked up and began to inspect.

"When do you think you and Tommy will have babies then?"

"What!?" Amelia asked breathlessly to Esme. From the corner of her eye she could see the shop assistant scowling their way.

"Oh come on love it's bound to happen" Ada joined in, her hands full of baby clothes.

"I swear you two love to torture me" and she rolled her eyes at her friends and began to look over the rest of the shop.

Ada quickly snuck up behind her and whispered "Well you've gotta get married first!"

Amelia whirled away and playfully shoved her friend "Bloody stop it, will you?"

Ada shrugged "I better be your maid of honor or the church burns down"

"Has anyone ever told you that you sound just like your brother?" Amelia retorted with her hands on her hips.

----