Chapter III

Sploosh!

Gwen gasped, lurching forward as the bucket of cold water rinsed out her hair. 

"Sorry, miss, just one more," the maid said sweetly, picking up the bucket once more.

"I really don't think this is nece-" Gwen started before the cascade of soapy water nearly drowned her yet again. She growled, moving her auburn hair out of her eyes with both hands, glaring evilly at the maid whose name she had not been told.

"I'm afraid it is," she said, searching for towels to dry her charge off. "Your hair is very thick and very long." She picked up a chunk of hair and examined it. "And very dry."

"I think I can handle this myself, thank you!" Gwen said indignantly, wrenching her hair away. 

"Very well, Miss," the maid said calmly. "Shall I pick out what you are to wear?"

Gwen shook her head, pointing to one of her bags. "My blue dress in there."

The maid obeyed, fetching the dress. 

"Oh, no, no, no, this will not do!" She fretted. "It is much too plain!"

"What?" Gwen exclaimed, coming over to see for herself.

"Neither pearls nor lace adorn this dress," the maid sighed. "I will see what I can do."

Gwen rolled her eyes. This exactly why she did not want to be a lady. Too much fussing over clothes. "Well, I think it's quite alright!" She put her two cents worth in. 

"Not for the Lord Denethor and his sons," the maid responded briskly.

~~~

A good twenty minutes later, Gwen was finally fitted into her gown, her hair curled, and had a wreath of pearls around her neck. The maid - whose name Gwen still had not bothered to ask for - had tightened the gown as much as it would, leaving Gwen gasping for air.

"Do you plan to suffocate me before my duties even begin?" She asked as she struggled to stand up.

"You will not suffocate," the maid said incredulously, as if Gwen had suggested flying to the moon.

Before Gwen could answer, a knock sounded. She went to answer it.

"Meredor!" She exclaimed. "You are my savior," she whispered.

Meredor laughed. "Has Limwen gone to the extremes yet again?"

'Limwen,' Gwen thought. 'So that is her name.'

"She means to suffocate me, I think," she said aloud.

"I'm simply doing my duty!" Limwen stated indignantly.

"We are just joking around, Limwen," Meredor laughed. "Do not take it to heart."

"Regardless of your intentions, my work is finished. She is ready to be presented."

"And a marvelous job you did! She is more than ready to meet the Steward." Meredor exclaimed as her took Gwen's hand and placed it on his arm. "Farewell, Limwen. Wish us luck."

~~~

The White City was even more beautiful during the night time. The levels of the city shown with torches, setting off a soft warm glow. The stars, though not nearly as many in number as back home, were like a million tiny diamonds encrusted into the black cloak that was the night sky. The moon was just rising, enormous and orange in color, behind the mountain.
It was truly a wonderful city to live in, to start anew in.

"This is it, eh?" Gwen asked as they made their way to the front court room. "My old life is behind me. My new life is just beginning." 

"That is correct, m'lady," Meredor said as he led her to the large oaken door.