Twenty-Eight

Breaking the news to Veronica that the Blossom family had been complicit in her father's arrest was unsurprisingly difficult

Breaking the news to Veronica that the Blossom family had been complicit in her father's arrest was unsurprisingly difficult. Keegan knew that there would be no amount of sugar coating that could soften their delivery, he was sure that Betty and Archie felt the same when he watched idly as Archie stumbled over his words as he recited what he was supposed to say to Betty. The blonde nodded her head occasionally while Keegan listened to the quiet chatter being produced by the few students that hung around the lounge in hopes of calming his nerves. Though, the tension in the room was enough to suffocate him no matter what he did.

"When I went to Thornhill, I overheard Mr.Bloss-" Archie stopped. The familiar sound of clicking heels had passed through the hallway. A moment more and Veronica had appeared at the entrance, sporting a navy blue lace dress, heels, and her usual cup of coffee. However, Keegan was vaguely aware that something was amiss with the onyx-haired girl. He found his suspicions to be correct as soon as he realized the absence of Veronica's pearls. Keegan straightened himself out on the recliner he sat on, bracing himself for the events that lay ahead of him.

"Friends, I heard you were in need of my presence," Veronica said as she offered the trio a wry smile, she took her seat across from Keegan. She let out an exasperated sigh as she crossed her legs, leaning over to place her coffee on the table ahead of her.

"Hey Ronnie, we wanted to fill you in on the stuff we've been doing." Keegan began, his tone gentle as not to prematurely alarm Veronica. The raven-haired girl nodded as she leaned on the armrest of the recliner.

"Right, you're our friend so you deserve to know what's going on," Betty added as she turned her attention away from Keegan to the lightly-tanned girl. Veronica shrugged nonchalantly, "Bring it. After the morning I've had, I'm ready for just about anything." she informed the group. Keegan bit the insides of his cheeks, his eyebrows converging when he did not hear Betty further discussing their findings. The teen looked over to the other blonde, Betty's green eyes met his own. Her expression was wary as Keegan gave her a little nod of encouragement, it was too late to go back now.

"Okay, well, Archie was with the Blossoms while their board was in town. He, um... Why don't you tell her?" Betty looked at the redhead. Their plans to gently break the news to Veronica had shattered, no amount of rehearsing and planning could save them. Keegan could hear Archie suck in a deep breath, he slowly turned to look back at Veronica. A frown painted on her red lips, "Why is this suddenly feeling like a friend-tervention?" Veronica questioned.

Keegan shook his head, opening his mouth to reassure her that was not the case before abruptly being cut off by Archie. The teen guessed that Archie would rather rip the bandaid off now rather than toil in the uneasiness.

"I overheard Mr.Blossom say he's the one responsible for your dad being arrested and put in jail." Archie breathed out. The girl's frown morphed into a scowl as she crossed her arms, her dark eyes focusing on her two other friends. Keegan nodded his head in confirmation, he sunk back in his chair. He practically felt the tense air morphing into anger and confusion.