Chapter 8 - Rally

Start from the beginning

"Tell 'em Jack!" Blink yelled from one of the balconies. I snorted at that. 

"So, what's it gonna be?" Jack yelled out at the other Newsies. "We're with you Jack!" Race yelled back. Jack turned back to Spot.

"So, what about you, Spot?" He asked. Spot looked around the room before turning back to Jack. 

"I say, that what you say... is what I say." Jack grinned, and the two boys spit-shook. Jack then turned back to the crowd. 

"Now introducin my sistah, Joss Kelly!" Spot looked around again, and it dawned on me. He had been searching the crowd for me. I smiled, and stepped out from where I was hiding. Spot turned around to where Jack was pointing and his jaw almost dropped when he saw me. I gave him a small smile, feeling my face heat up a bit at his gaze. 

I walked to the center of the stage, and looked over to where the musicians were and nodded. I turned back, took a deep breath, and began to sing. 

A/N (Btw thanks to the people who voted for the song. I hope you dont mind that I changed up the word a little bit.)

Here comes a wave meant to wash me away, A tide that is taking me under. Swallowing sand, left with nothing to say. My voice drowned out in the thunder.

But I won't cry, And I won't start to crumble. Whenever they try... To shut me or cut me down.

I won't be silenced, They can't keep us quiet. Won't tremble when you try it, All I know is we won't go speechless. 'Cause I'll breathe, When they try to suffocate me. Don't you underestimate me.  'Cause I know that we won't go speechless. 

Written in stone, Every rule, every word. Centuries old and unbending. "Stay in your place", "Better seen and not heard". But now that story is ending.

Cause I... I cannot start to crumble. So come on and try, Try to shut me and cut me down...

I won't be silenced! You can't keep us quiet! Won't tremble when you try it, All I know is we won't go speechless, speechless! Let the storm in, I cannot be broken. No, I won't live unspoken, 'Cause I know that I won't go speechless. 

Try to lock me in this cage, we won't just lay me down and die! I will take these broken wings, And watch me burn across the sky! Hear the echo saying;

I won't be silenced! Though you wanna see us tremble when you try it. All I know is we won't go speechless, speechless! 'Cause I'll breathe, When they try to suffocate me, Don't you underestimate me! 'Cause I know that I won't go speechless.

All I know is we won't go speechless, speechless...

(Song ends)

I opened my eyes as I finished, I hadn't even realized I closed them in the first place. The boys were mostly just staring at me for a few seconds. 

Until they broke into screams and applause. I felt my face heat up and I grinned. It was one thing for strangers to enjoy my singing, but the joy I felt from my friends and family enjoying it was so much more than I'd ever thought. I gave a small curtsy, and walked off the stage so Medda could start her performance. 

When I reached Medda's dressing room, I almost collapsed onto the stool. I felt so happy. As I stood up again I heard a knock on the door. Expecting it to be Jack I said, "Shouldn't you be out watchin' Medda?" 

"Nah, Ise rather come n see youse." I turned around to find Spot leaning on the door frame. "Youse much prettier than Medda." I smiled, my face heating up. "Y'know if Jack heard ya say that, he'd probly soak ya." Spot laughed. "He ain't brave enough ta do dat." I shook my head, siting down again. 

"Maybe not normally, but he does some crazy tings when peoples talkin bout me." He shrugged, and walked inside the dressing room. "Ise telling the truth though. Youse are a lot pretier than Medda." 

Looked away, my face heating up more, when Spot placed a hand on my cheek, turing my face back to his. He was kneeling down in front of me, his face level with mine. I knew that Jack would probably kill me if he saw this, but at the moment I didn't care. All I knew was that a handsome boy was right in front of me, his face inches from mine. 

I felt myself leaning in when...

I realized that the music had stopped, and the shouts of joy had been replaced with fighting cries. Spot and I both jumped up as kid Blink ran into the room. 

"Snyder! He's here for Jack!" I grabbed my stick and Spot and I rushed out of the room and to the stage. There were police officers everywhere, grabbing the boys and pulling them outside. 

"Joss! Get out of here!" Spot said to me before running off to where the boys were fighting. 

Me being me, I instead ran over to a cop holding mush and hit him with my stick, causing Mush to escape. The cop tried grabbing me, but I hit him over the head, making him collapse. I laughed in triumph, but unfortunately that one moment of distraction was enough for a cop to grab me. 

When I started struggling, two other cops came over and the three of them dragged me to their carriage.