Sorry, I'm Taken (Human AU)

En başından başla

Over Biana's shoulder, Sophie watched Dex jog up to their little group and wrap an arm around Biana, an adorably huge grin on his face. "Hi girls! How are best friend and my beautiful girl doing on this fine day?"

Ahhh, Dex. The (thanks to the Black Swan) enhanced tech savvy, the lovable sidekick. And the only one with no drama going on, which made him even more awesome. Sophie did not need any more drama in her life. He'd also landed Biana as his girlfriend a little earlier in the year, and Sophie didn't know how in the world that had happened without her realizing it — maybe she was a little more oblivious than she'd care to admit — but she was happy for them.

Sophie was snapped back to the present when Biana beamed, gave him the most adorable peck on the cheek (which turned his red), and replied, "Oh, we're both doing good! Well, I mean," Biana amended, flashing Sophie an amused look, "besides that one's boy trouble."

Dex perked up. "Boy trouble, you say? Well, have no fear! Dex da Dizznee is here!"

Biana wrinkled her nose. "That should not be a thing."

"Yeah," Sophie agreed, trying so hard not to laugh, "be careful not to say that too loud. It could catch on."

"Awesome," Dex replied with this smile on his face that could only mean trouble.

Suddenly the bell for first period rang, and they all remembered they had places to be. But before they made a run for it, Sophie made sure they were still on for their usual Monday meet-up after school, and asked Dex to text Keefe, saying she'd take care of Fitz.

The hours passed by so slowly, but Sophie was proud to say that she survived it yet again. Mostly. Math just about ended her. But she could get past that, someday. At that moment, she had a mission. Get out of the class room, gather the last of her things from her locker, get out of the building. And all without stopping and talking to anybody.

That turned out to be an impossible mission, though, because someone from chorus stopped her in the hall about three yards from the door to freedom, and they talked for about the longest five minutes Sophie could remember. But she endured it, because this girl was pretty nice to her, unlike some.

Finally, she said goodbye, and made a subtle-but-not-so-subtle dash into freedom.

And she ran right into Fitz.

Thankfully, he didn't trip, but Sophie nearly fell face-first on the concrete, and he had to catch her. Sophie could not describe the embarrassment she felt in that moment.

"Fitz, I am so sorry," she said, trying not to let herself blush or let her voice sound too much like she was about to cry as she scrambled to her feet and brushed herself off, though she hadn't actually gotten anything on her, thanks to Fitz.

"Don't worry about it, Sophie," he replied graciously with a kind smile, offering her his arm. For a second, she just stood there, puzzled and still disoriented. Then she realized he wanted her to take it, so she did so with a casual haste, and they started walking arm-in-arm to their destination.

The ice cream parlor wasn't even a quarter of a mile away. Whoever had though of that deserved to be showered with riches and happiness forever. And a few medals. That place was the only way Sophie and her friends could stay sane in all of the madness that was their lives. It kept them close, too. And that made all the difference.

It only took a few minutes of walking and laughter-filled conversation to reach the spot, and their friends waited at the black, metal tables outside the bright, cheerful building. The group now reunited, all headed inside to order their treat.

Sophie had just finished ordering her usual — cookie dough with chocolate sprinkles in a waffle cone — when out of the corner of her eye, she saw Keefe approach her, take her hand, and take it lightly, motioning with his eyes toward the door.