Basketball girl?

Chapter two: Basketball girl? (Avery's POV)

I woke up the next morning a lot later than I should have. It was 11:45. 

Yikes. 

I woke up, brushed my teeth, washed my face, and went downstairs to grab something to eat. As I was looking through my pantry for the cereal, I looked out the window and saw Owen, Colton, and Ryder, all sitting on the sidewalk in front of Mr. Forbes' house. I watched with amusement as they tried convincing him to give the ball back but failed repeatedly. 

I shook my head before going into my backyard and picking out two daisies. He loves giving his wife flowers, a fun fact. I threw my hair up in a bun before throwing my flip flops on and cleaning up the flowers just a tad bit. 

It'll make the old man's day. 

I went into my room and grabbed a ribbon that I had lying around and tied the daisies together by their stems before going back downstairs and outside. I squinted a little at the sun before crossing the street and walking over to where the guys were sitting. 

"You-" Colton stood up immediately. Someone's angry. 

"Shut up," I held my hand up before turning around to face Mr. Forbes who was sitting in his chair with a frown. "Mr. Forbes? May I speak to you for a moment?" I asked nicely. 

He stood up slowly with a sigh and opened the door, standing before me. 

"Are they here asking for the ball?" I asked while glancing at them. 

"Yes, dear," he rolled his eyes. 

I bit back a smile and continued. "Mr. Forbes, I'm really sorry that they bothered you, but last night they were being a little loud with the ball so I just blindly threw the ball away and it happened to land over your fence. I am so, so sorry, Mr. Forbes. But can they please get their ball back?" I pleaded. 

He folded his arms across his chest while looking far out into the distance. 

"Oh, come on, Mr. Forbes. I brought flowers for you to give," I smiled while lending them out for him to take. 

He broke out into a smile before going back and grabbed the ball, handing it to me, taking the flowers in exchange. 

"Thank you so much, it will never happen again," I smiled thankfully. 

"No problem, dear," he smiled before closing his gate, going back inside excitedly. 

I turned to see all three of them staring at me in disbelief. Did I mention they were all shirtless? Oops. 

"What?" I asked in confusion. "It doesn't take that much effort to get to know a neighbor you know," I threw the ball at Ryder before crossing the street back to my house. 

"Hey, basketball girl!" I halted and turned around to see Ryder jogging over to me. 

Basketball girl? 

I turned to him with a blank face, waiting for him to continue. But he didn't. He just stared. "Can I help you?" I asked. 

Nothing. 

"Look, I'm sorry for tossing the ball like that last night but you guys were being annoying and I just-" he cut me off. 

"Do you play?" He tossed me the ball. I looked at him in confusion before turning around and throwing the ball, aiming for the hoop, surprising myself when it went through it. 

"Sometimes," I shrugged. 

"Wanna join?" he asked while arching an eyebrow at me. 

I looked around while contemplating it. "I have a minute," I shrugged while nodding.