31. Beginnings and Endings

...

Kaveh Fayyad always started his mornings with the newspaper.

He couldn't imagine a time when he hadn't sat down for breakfast, undid the crisp folding of the paper and caught up to everything that happened around the world whilst he was asleep.

This morning, however, his paper was trapped under his little sister who refused to budge. Azar swung her feet from the edge of the table and fed him her cereals one grain at a time. Kaveh didn't have the heart to move her - so he decided he could always read the news on his phone later and obediently opened his mouth every time she asked him to.

Yasmine entered the dining room and a smile graced her graced as she watched the scene laid out.

"Look at this! Even your baby sister missed you while you were gone," she said, placing more plates on the table.

"Mom, I'm already here," he said, rolling his eyes. "You can stop with the emotionally blackmail."

"All I'm saying is that we're all glad to have you here," she looked at him fondly.

"With you, and Azar." He paused to look at his sister adoringly. "Feeding me like this, I can't say I have much to complain."

Hearing her name, Azar let out a gleeful giggle.

Yasmine looked at her children fondly. Weekends on the Fayyad household were nothing special. True, they all stayed at home and ate all their meals together; but all the members of the family constantly remained busy with their own worlds.

However, that didn't matter to Yasmine, what mattered to her was that all her children were together. There is nothing that gave her more joy than the presence of all three of the kids in the house - specially of her son - and knowing that her entire family was under one roof.

Kaveh's other sister chose the moment to saunter into the room. Yasmine paused to make sure she was seeing right. Layla walked to the refrigerator and opened the door.

"Have I died and went to heaven?" she let out a cry. "Or has my eldest daughter blessed us with her presence whilst its still morning?"

Layla discreetly rolled her eyes. "Don't be dramatic, Mom," she said, still assessing her options inside the refrigerator.

Kaveh raised a brow subtly at his sister. Asking Yasmine not to be dramatic was like asking the sky to not be blue.

"Is there any special occasion or did you just randomly decide to wake up before noon?" the older woman placed a hand on her hip and asked.

Layla finally decided on orange juice and picked the bottle. Closing the door behind her she faced her mother. "Just trying to fix my sleep habit," she replied, casually raising her shoulders and dropping them. "And Dad's taking us grocery shopping." she announced cheerfully, placing a hand on her brother's shoulder.