04

Claire was in her early forties, but I didn't imagine that she would look this young. She has light blonde hair, and big blue eyes matching perfectly with her pale skin. Claire was a beautiful woman, the only part turning away her age are the wrinkles around her eyes, and the heavy and prominent dark circles under her eyes. She was also very thin, not looking very healthy so I doubt she eats enough in her everyday life.

She was dressed in a simple outfit, some black leggings, and a pink cozy blouse. "Are you Evelyn?" Claire asks taking a moment to examine me as I have just done with her. I wonder how many times she has been through this process.

"Yes, it's very nice to meet you, Claire." I show her the warmest smile I can give her and she finally steps away from the door, inviting me in. "Excuse me." I say politely when I step inside.

The smell of lavender hits me right after I enter the hall. Looking around I see a corridor with has four doors, probably three bedrooms and one bathroom, and to my right, I see the living room and the kitchen in the same area. 

It looks quite good.

"Make yourself at home. Can I have your coat?" She asks me and I am quick to take it off handing it to her.

"Thank you." I stand there awkwardly waiting for her to guide me around. There is no need for her to show me the house, for now, I just want to talk with her.

"Follow me." Claire says walking to the living room. It as a three-seat couch and a wide TV, and I see the latest PlayStation on the tv console. I furrow my eyebrows confused, how could they afford all this? I also remember that on the other day, her older son, Harry had an iPhone on his hands. That is strange considering that none of them have actual jobs.

I decide to leave this question for another time, I don't want to bombard her with questions right away, there are more important issues to discuss at this moment. "Take a seat." Claire points to the worn-out leather sofa and I quickly obey sitting on the edge of it, leaving enough space for her. "Would you like some tea or coffee?"

"Tea would be nice, yes." From what I am gathering from this first impression, she doesn't look crazy as people have previously told me.

She looks tired, and a little sleepy even, but that is most likely due to the heavy medication she is taking. "I am very sorry for what happened on Wednesday." Claire sighs walking towards the kitchen, I can see her right behind the counter turning the kettle on.

"Your younger son, Colin right?" She simply nods and I continue. "He told me you had taken some pills, is that true?" I keep my voice low, not wanting to sound accusative. She looks back at me with a scared expression on her eyes, so I decide to add. "It is alright, I want you to be honest with me so we can work together. I don't want to cause you any harm. I'm here to help."

The hardest part was getting Claire to trust me, but I don't blame her for being suspicious. And we just met, so I am not expecting her to tell me all of her life story today or even at all.

"They are for my anxiety. The doctor prescribed me those, I can show you the-" I am forced to intervene.

"There is no need for that, I believe you." I force a smile even though I am not one hundred percent sure of her honesty. "I was thinking that we could arrange you a visit with a psychiatrist, if you think that your medication is being too much for you." I had a file with everything he was taking at the moment.

Antidepressants twice a day, and two types of anxiety pills. One to be taken only if is an emergency and the other to take regularly, which shows why she is so apathetic. "As you know we have partnerships with psychiatrists. If you don't like your current one I can try to find another one, it is the government who pays." I add.