Chapter 7

"What?" I feels my eyes start to water.

"Well the other day, I went to the hospital, because my hand started to feel numb, and became swollen. I felt the worse pain also. While I was there, I had to get an MRI. They sticked some type of fluid in my body, so they can see the inside of me. Guess what they found? Neoplasms in my left wrist and back. They told me it's benign and that they'll be watching it closely." He says in the most casual tone.

"What is benign?" My chest feels heavy.

"When the cancer doesn't grow or spread, but it can become worse and lead to.....spreading."

All I wanted to do is cry. And hug him, though we kept walking. Watching the sun go down. The tears kept pouring.

He continues, "I had this problem for a while but I never thought it would worsen like this. I'm sure it'll go away, it always has."He says, then looks at me. And stops walking, I did the same.

"Are you crying?" His eyes widen, and voice in shock.

I sniff. "Yes, I mean you're telling me that you have cancer." Wiping my tears from my cheeks. "I don't know how else to respond."
When I think of cancer I automatically think of people being sad, and crying. But he's not doing none of that.
And with all the drama I'm dealing with, doesn't match up or matter to what he's telling me and going through.

"How are you so calm about this?" My voice cracks. Okay, now I seriously need to get myself together.

"Well...I don't really know. I mean, I don't want to live miserably, having it take control of my life. Even if it has already, physically. I still want to live out things that I never done." He mumbles, walking over to the nearest bench. Facing the ocean.

"I don't mean to upset you. I thought by taking you here would be easier for you to handle."

I sat next to him. "I honestly, don't know how to handle this, but I'm willing to try."

It was quiet for a few minutes.
I wonder what he's thinking. Maybe he's regretting of telling me. Maybe he's looking for comfort. I don't even know what the hell were suppose to be. Maybe he doesn't want us to be anything, because of what he has. I don't know.

"So....Your favorite book is Divergent. " He says, meeting my gaze.

"Yeah."

"I heard the author made sequels, have you read them?"

"No, I was going to buy them on my birthday."
Fuck, why did I mention that.

"Your birthday is coming up? And you didn't tell me. I'm hurt, Mannolia." He smiles.

"I already feel that I'm a year older, and my dad won't be here. So this year, I'm not really big on it." I say, playing with my fingers. "May I ask you a question?"

His face settles. "Of course."

"Why did you tell me all of this?" I mean I haven't known him for long. Though I'm shock of how he's been so nice to me and he's sharing information with me thats in the matter of life and death.

"Apart of me feels that I can trust you."

He scoots in closer, making our shoulders touch. "When is your birthday?"

I lean my head on his shoulder. "This Friday. " i say, and I see him nod his head. We continue watching the sun go down, with the sky turning a different color. Taking in the calming environment.

****

When the sky darken, he decided to go ahead and take me home. The ride back felt more comfort as he held my hand, with his left on the wheel. From a little light, I can see how his wrist looks a bit swollen then the other that I had my hand in. How haven't I not notice this before? I should pay attention more.

He slowed the truck in front of my house. I look out the window, seeing my mother's car wasn't present in the driveway. That's odd, usually she'd be here. I unbuckle my seat belt.

"Mannolia,"

I turn my head, as I see him looking out the wind shield. "From what I told you today, I ask that you don't feel sorry for me."

"Did I make you feel that way?" I ask, feeling a bit sad.

"No not at all, I just wanted to say in case you start to see......changes in me."

He kept his eyes looking straight ahead.
What does he mean?

I nod and letting myself out the truck, closing it behind. Walking to the front door, and opening it. I'm in no mood to do anything but go to sleep and maybe continue crying. I close the front door.

The house felt empty has I made a glance to the living room, seeing nor hearing anyone. I shrug, running upstairs to my room. Seeing Angelica sitting on my desk chair. I froze, as she sat gazing at me.

I swallow hard. "What are you doing here?"

"Actually waiting for you." She says, dryly. "Tyson let me in. When I came over with Mark. He called us pissed off about some shit. Getting Mark all hyped up with him. Tyson told me to wait here till you got back. Saying he didn't know where the hell you were. And then he said, 'Its was going down tomorrow.' Mark and Tyson left after that. Leaving me here waiting for you." She folded her arms.

"What's going down tomorrow?" Fuck, I really didn't want to deal with any more shit. I'm tired, I have the biggest headache coming on strong. I just want to sleep forever.

"They wouldn't tell me. I was sitting the living room when they were both upstairs talking."

I rub my temples, trying not to blow. But I did. "So you decided to come my room. For what? There's nothing in here for you. And why did you really stay? You and I both know you don't like me. And I don't care, it's seems to me that your here to be noisy!! Are you helping Haley too!?!"

"One, you right I don't like you, but it doesn't mean I'm not here to help you. Two, why the HELL would I even help Haley! With what? I don't even know what you're talking about." She stands up moving towards me, but left a few feet of space. "Look, the reason I'd stayed. Is to tell you that Tyson is planning something, and it ain't good."

"I thought they didn't tell you anything!"

I fold my arms across my chest.

"Girl, just because they didn't tell me anything. Doesn't mean I don't listen!" She sign harshly. "That white guy you've been hanging out with, that's apart of the preps. Tyson's, Mark and the rest of the crew are planning something for him tomorrow! "

Tyson? Is it because of what I told him earlier? Does he think Cameron did something? But i never mentioned his name in the conversation, I said 'them'. He interpreted wrong. And now Tyson crew and the girl preps are all planning to do something and it all has to do with me hanging out with Cameron.

"You said your here to help me. By you telling me this, how is it helping anything ?"

"Its up to you. I just thought you should know." She brush past me, hearing her foot steps going down stairs, and closing the door behind her.

I take my phone out my pocket dialing Tyson number. Hearing his voice mail, I call again. Still no answer.

I toss my phone on my bed, feeling irritated.

Why? Why does it have to be this way? Why does it matter to others who I surround myself with? Why can't I just live peacefully?

Why me? Why do i have be the one who has to put an end to this? Why can it be that person that sits on the side lines, watching it all go down?

I change in my pajamas, and lay in my bed. Grabbing my phone, realizing I don't even have Camerons number to warn him. Damn it!

I turn off my lamp light, as my room darkens around me. No matter what goes down tomorrow, I will make sure nothing happens to Cameron. I have to be strong.