Chapter 23 Part 1

Zeva Pov

I spent the day alone, not wanting to make the situation worse between Sarah and Peter.

It's not like I hate being alone sometimes but it doesn't bother me. I sometimes like to be alone to think calmly. It's good to be able to take a step back and look at things from a distance from time to time.

Through the rest of the day, I keep thinking about what happened with Peter and Sarah earlier.

Sarah was the first person to come to me. She helped me get used to this new life. In the end, she was my little ray of sunshine, in this very dull city. As for Peter, he charmed me with his intelligence and sensitivity. He was also there when I needed him when so many things separate us...

I sigh. Why can't they just get along? Or at least ignore each other? Isn't it complicated enough that Peter is a vampire? Let alone that my best friend is a witch! And that both their families hate each other!

Lost in thought, I sat on a bench in front of the university, waiting for Peter when I suddenly felt a presence at my side.

I turn, surprised, to meet with Loan's blue eyes. He doesn't even say anything as he's just sat down on the bench next to me. I'm about to leave when... Loans voice called out to me.

Loan- "I come in peace, Zeva, don't go..."

Usually the sad puppy dog face would be enough for me to hear someone out but this was Loan. I pick up my things knowing the best idea is to just walk away. Loan can't help being unbearable. I would rather prefer to run away then talk to him. To my dismay he just sighs and runs after me with ease.

Loan - "I know our relationship didn't start off on the right foot..."

"We don't have a relationship!"

I halt in my steps and spin back towards him pointing my finger accusingly but Loan apparently wasn't done.

Loan - "I easily get carried away, I often talk shit, but I'm not the one you think ..."

"An idiot, you mean?"

I pulled my finger back and crossed my arms. He looks at me for a moment without saying anything and sighs. I must admit that his attitude surprises me. He remains calm, while I was expecting him to get angry.

Loan - "It's just that I really don't like the Bartholys, like everyone else here. You're new to the city and they take advantage of it, especially Peter..."

"Why does everyone think I'm naive and manipulable? I'm able to think for myself, you know!"

Loan tilts his head sideways and steps closer, invading my space.

Loan - "You're nevertheless a pretty girl who's new in a city and you don't yet know the rules."

I felt my cheeks turn red. He thought he was flattering me but I found him nothing but exasperating. I narrowed my eyes at him and stopped myself from taking a step back. I'm tired of being treated like a pretty girl who can't get by without somebody's help ... I'm a big girl, I can fend for myself!

" I have two arms, two legs and a brain in working order, so I think I can draw my own conclusions about this city."

Loans face fell feeling my tone. Shoving his hands in his pockets he looked around.

Loan - "They have a bad reputation here, and it's not for nothing. They're weird!"

Loan all but whispered.

"So? Lots of people are weird, it doesn't make them dangerous."

Loan -"You don't know everything, there's lots of rumors about them..."