Chapter 6 Part 1

Zeva Pov: 

All along the way, I feel somebody watching me. Strangely, I'm not afraid. I feel that the presence is benevolent. Still I headed straight home.

As I get to the manor. I hear the howling of a wolf, that makes my body quiver slightly. Great, that is all I needed! My pace quickens as I rush into the house, but I am far from feeling safe.

I jump! I hadn't thought Nicolae would be waiting for me at the bottom of the stairs, the moment that I had entered. Instantly I see there's worry in his eyes. I jump! I try, however, to keep calm: He mustn't notice my anxiety.

Nicolae - "Zeva, is everything okay? Did your evening go well?"

I don't want to expand on the subject with him, even if his concern touches me. I have only one desire: go to my room and think up a plan. I plastered on the best smile I could as I tried to keep my voice light.

"The evening was a bit hectic, but hey it is Halloween after all! Don't worry, I'm fine."

He gives me a weak smile and doesn't really seem to believe my lie.

Nicolae - "If you have the slightest problem, Zeva, you know you can count on me .. "

Nicolae is so nice ... How could he be one of those bloodthirsty creatures described by professor Jones..? He sighs, runs a hand through his hair, then gives me a faint smile.

Nicolae - "I guess you need to rest. I took the liberty of running you a bath. Good night, Zeva."

Despite my suspicions I am actually very grateful to him. Nicolae is really considerate ... I should pull myself together. This evening's gotten me completely paranoid! Yes, Nicolae is right, I'll take a bath, that's exactly what I need! Tomorrow I'll have forgotten about ghosts and vampires. I go upstairs, exhausted. Surprised, I see Peter, his back bowed, staring into space, leaning against my bedroom door.

My heart starts beating wildly inside my chest. As I reach him, he looks up. His face is impassive and I wonder why he's here. He doesn't wait for me to ask and walks towards me.

Peter - " I just wanted to tell you that I shouldn't have done what I did in the bar. I'm sorry. Please let's not talk about it anymore."

He is about to leave, to flee as usual. I grab his wrist. His skin is cold as death.

He stares at my hand looking both bewildered and alarmed. What is e afraid of? The voice inside me is beating with an urge. I just want to get to know you, Peter...

"Well, I wanted to thank you. Loan was brutal and you prevented him from hurting me, there is nothing to feel sorry for. "

He looks up at me. his beautiful green eyes are looking at me with such intensity that I feel faint. He escapes my grip and gives me a dubious look.

Peter - "Still, you were standing pretty close to him... "

I was taken aback, hurt by his words. Did he honestly think I was with them willingly? I didn't want to be.

"He didn't give me a choice!"

Peter look at me for a moment, then finally shakes his head, as if to clear his mind.

Peter - "Loan shouldn't cause you any more trouble now ..."

My heart is beating like mad as he says these words. He's so beautiful! Looking at me takes my breath away. he watches me for a moment, without saying anything. I can see that something's bothering him.

Peter - "Next time, be more careful. Don't let boys think they stand a chance with you if they don't"

Peter - "If they get the wrong impression they feel confident and act stupidly."

The way his tone drops and he avoids make me unsure if are we talking about Loan here? Despite everything, I feel affected by his words. His accusation makes me sad.

"It's not my fault he behaved like that with me!"

Peter seem to realize that his words hurt me. He frowns and bites his lower lip, angry with himself.

Peter - "Sorry Zeva, That's not what I meant .."

He lets out a deep sigh as he runs a hand through his beautiful black hair, tinted with blue.

Peter - "Sometimes I don't express myself well. I read a lot of books, but I guess it doesn't really help me in the real world.... I'm just worried about you ... Loan is a jerk. He acts as if the world belongs to him ..."

I can feel the agitation building up in his voice, as he suddenly cuts himself off.

Peter - "I will never let him hurt you, but a girl as beautiful as you should be wary of him ... He could try other ways to get what he wants."

Time stood still. So Peter thinks I'm beautiful? My mouth was faster than my brain was able to stop it.

"You think I'm beautiful?"

Peter lifts his emerald eyes up at me. It's as if they were molten metal. I smile at him simply because I like being with him. He stares at me for a moment. Hesitantly, he then smiles back. I have never seen him smiling so sincerely before, and my heart literally melts. When he smiles, his whole face, which is already very pleasant to look at, lights up and he becomes genuinely magnificent.

"You should smile more often. It suits you."

He seemed unnerved again by my remark and looks at me longly. His eyes shining brighter. He comes closer to me as if he was unable to control himself.

Peter - "Me too, Zeva. I like to see you smile. When you smile, the world around me seems a better place."

Peter - "I don't want some stupid guy like Loan to take that smile from your face."

What he is saying moves me deeply. With the death of my parents, my moving home, and all the difficulties I've faced, hearing that my smile is precious to him overwhelms me. Suddenly, he slides his fingers between mine. They are cold but also gentle and strangely compelling.

I like his touch. Palm to palm, our fingers intertwined. His gesture is both gentle and possessive. Our eyes meet, and I feel growing inside me a tingling feeling that i'm not familiar with. He lets go of my hand and brings his face to mine. My heart is pounding, I feel under his control, unable to make the slightest move. My lips start to throb, and I can't help but think is he about to kiss me?! As our faces are only inches apart, he gently slips his cheek against my cheek and whispers in my ear.

Peter - "Good night, Zeva."

As quick as lightning, he moves away from me ... and heads for his room, leaving me alone in the hallway, in turmoil. I'm suddenly boiling, and I don't know what to do with myself.

I wanted to follow him. I almost wanted to go to his room and finish what we started ...

Peter is a dark horse! He's far from being the shy boy who buries himself in his books if someone tried to speak to him. He's actually quite confident, manly, and really, really gorgeous!

I go back to my room and throw myself on my bed, sinking my face into a cushion. To summarize this evening: Loan deserves a good slap in the face, I saw fragments of people's souls, a little, everywhere in the city, and the Bartholy brothers are hiding something from me ...

I close my eyes briefly, concentrating. I could just leave the mansion tomorrow morning, but I realize it would be running away again. They may be different, but that doesn't make them monsters. I shouldn't judge them so fast. Second later, I hear piano notes floating in the air and drifting over to me. The melody is still as captivating.

Just like him. Like its composer. It seeps deep inside me, where my emotions lie hidden from the world ...