Chapter 21-Chance Meetings

Start from the beginning

‘Ashton! Where’s our ice cream?’ I look past his strongly built shoulder and see her.

I couldn’t deal with them so close together so I look up at Ash and say, ‘Think twice next time before approaching to me…’.

Sam’s pov

Dinner time.

Looking into the mirror I only see a liar and I couldn’t believe I was going to face her entire family with this face. I shake my head and advert my eyes to my shirt I was putting on. I only hoped I looked decent enough for her…. For them.

Emily’s pov

I was pacing my room constantly checking in the mirror, taking an overall glance but never my face. I knew I would find something wrong with it.

‘Emily! Are you sure you told him the right time?’ my mum yells from the living room I sigh. ‘Yes!’ I yell back. I keep pacing until I hear the doorbell and feel my body enlighten.

Before someone from my family answers the door with an awkward greeting I open it to find Sam’s back, hands in front pockets. Before I wouldn’t have the chance to I take a moment to take in what he was wearing. A black buttoned up shirt that fit him perfectly with dark jeans and a jacket in the crook of his arm.

I clear my throat and he turns abruptly but when he saw it was only me he grins. ‘Hey’ he speaks softly and a smile stretches my mouth. ‘Hey, come in’ I reply.

Sam walks in past me, and I say ‘You clean up pretty nice I have to say’ as I was closing the door. When I turned back around Sam had a light smile to his lips as he looked me over, I had no idea how but it almost felt like a touch…..

I had just put something comfortable on but still nice.

 ‘You look beautiful Em’ he tells me and before I could react in some small way I hear my dad say ‘Is that the hero I hear?’ dad jokes walking into the hallway. Out of the corner of my eye I see him straighten that little bit taller and extend a hand.

‘I’m hardly considered a hero’.

‘Well in this household you are’ my dad ignores his outstretched hand and instead hugs him. I worry for a moment if that “weirded” him out and hoped he didn’t think bad of my family….

Sam’s Pov

I smile at Em’s father’s gesture since I had no idea where mine was and feel the appreciation of his touch. I had saved his daughter, I just hoped I could protect her for longer.

Em’s pov.

I don’t see any change in Sam’s expression when my mum comes into the hallway where we were introducing each other. I had to admit I was nervous.

Sam was very polite and my mum seemed to like him so far but as we were starting to walk toward the living/dining room mum gets stuck with one of her wheels in the corner where our coat stand was. We all went to help her but Sam was already there slowly and carefully, before the coat stand fell on her, angled her out. ‘Thank you dear’.

I think Sam saw my relieved smile.

It was typical to see Dan at the dining table not greeting guests, but I guess it was unusual seeing him actually at the table for dinner. He had his interrogation face on and I gave him a glare to catch his attention, he only grins.

Sam introduces himself to my brother and I see how Dan actually grips his hand when Sam isn’t looking. I try with all I can to hold in my laugh and as Sam looks back to find me he winks. All I can manage to let out is a chuckle as Sam pulls out my chair for me and takes a seat next to me.

At this moment I don’t feel nervous anymore, I feel really comfortable and happy and I think that was all coming from the feeling of being in close company of Sam himself.

My mum smiles at Sam once dad has helped her in her chair and the conversation begins.

‘So Sam do you go to college or do you have a job?’.

I decided against myself to glance up at him and when I saw his expression, I needed to send across my encouragement. I took his hand in mine under the table.

‘I work in construction. Mainly houses but sometimes we are sent to help at office buildings or maintence’.

‘Okay, time to eat’ mum offers and once we had almost all the meals on our plate mum speaks up with something I hadn’t thought of.

‘I can see a hardworking man can also receive the disadvantages of working so well’.

‘Excuse me?’ Sam asks, as I am confused as well.

‘You hands?’ my father puts in. My heart is leaping as Sam glances down at them holding his cutlery. I also see Dan’s eyes go wide, this couldn’t be good…..

Realisation is clear and since I didn’t have one of his hands I gripped my own cutlery instead.

‘You’ll be surprised… work sites can be-‘ he pauses and has each one of my family members one his next words. ‘Dangerous, even qualified people like me’. I wasn’t stupid, I knew that what he said had more meaning then met the eye.

‘You should be more careful honey’ Mum tells him taking a last glance before they went back to their food. I let out my breath. But the next minute Sam’s phone rings, since he excuses himself into the hallway.

Dad was opposite me so Dan leans over as much as he could  to me and says ‘What’s up with him?’.

‘”Him” has a name and what do you mean?’ I whisper back. ‘You can see he’s ripped even through his shirt Em! Plus he must be clumsy if he has that many-‘.

Sam clears his throat to receive all of our attention and I turn slightly in my chair because he was just standing there. Something about his expression was off…. It was like he wasn’t showing anything.

He apologies and thanks for the dinner. I look back at his plate next to mine and see the unfinished meal getting cold like Dan was admiring across the table. He loves food too much…

My frown catches Sam’s attention in the middle of his thanking making him stutter.

‘It was, I have to admit, a very short pleasure of your company Sam I hope to see you soon’ Mum says and Dad nods. ‘I’ll see myself out’.

I watch his retreating back, putting his leather jacket on. I was shaken out of my temporary shock when I hear a clatter and something wet landing on my arm as Mum tells Dan off.

I wipe the mashed potato with my napkin and grab my jacket off the back of my chair. ‘Honey, where are you going?’ Dad says.

‘I’ll be back!’. I run after Sam.

 --Let me know what you think? Like, Comment?

Didn't final check beginning with Ashton, HOPE IT'S OKAY!!