17. possibly

"We need to be careful right now. What we say, what we do. Less than half the kitchen showed today and nobody even bothered to call." Will said to the group that consisted of the jocks who were now called the Guard for some reason, and Riley. Being best friend of the only brains of the Guard and the foster sibling of Will meant that she got to be in the inner circle. It also helped that she was smart and had a pretty good knack for survival. 

It was Grizz who spoke next, "it's not just the kitchen staff. No one picked up the garbage all weekend." 

"It fucking reeks." Jason said with a slight look of disgust on his face. 

Riley raised a brow at her fwb, but didn't say anything. He might be hot but he was about as bright as a bag of bricks. 

"If we don't follow the schedule, we're screwed." Will told them, just ignoring what Jason the dummy had to say. 

"And if the kitchen collapses, people will go after the food." Grizz replied, looking each of them in the eye. 

Will nodded, "they're already raiding the cafeteria pantry. Broad daylight. Nobody gives a shit."

Riley rose a brow at that, "oh, they give a shit. Just not about the schedule or the agenda. They're doing what they think they need to so that they can survive." She added in, earning a look of awe from Jason, who no doubt thought that was an incredible insight. 

"What do you want us to do about it?" Luke asked, raising his brows and shrugging his shoulders. 

The room was quiet for a second, everyone looking at Will to see what he thought, "we might have to enforce the work lists." 

Luke swallowed tightly, "you mean we would have to enforce work lists. The Guard." 

Riley did not like that one bit, someone had just shot and killed Cassandra, presumably because they did not like that she was leading them, and now Will wanted Riley's closest friends to enforce the work lists? 

"And how are we supposed to do that?" The question may have just been the smartest words that Clark had ever said in his entire life. "There are four of us." 

"Someone out there has a gun." Jason continued, his face the look of intensity. 

Riley nearly scoffed at that, "we know, Jason." She retorted, a bit fed up with the whole thing. 

The look of momentary hurt on Jason's face had Riley feeling bad, she didn't mean to snap at him. but he could just be so stupid sometimes. 

The sound of the door opening and then the sight of Ally waltzing in had the whole group acting awkwardly. No one knew what to say to her, especially since her sister had literally just been murdered. After filling her cup with some water, Ally turned to face the group, "what?" She asked, clearly noting the awkward silence. 

We were... we were talking about how nobody.." Will swallowed "came to work today."

Ally just stared at him, mouth slightly open. 

"It's getting really bad out there." Grizz added, pursing his lips slightly. 

"Yeah. No shit. Something terrible might happen." Ally replied, the something terrible had already happened and they all knew it. 

Jason looked around, his eyes going anywhere but to Ally, "we were just saying how, uhm, the work lists are falling apart." 

"It's bad enough without her. We can't let the rules go, too." Luke continued, and suddenly Riley felt bad for Ally. They were in her home, and basically ambushing her, asking her what they should do. 

Ally pursed her lips together, staring at the group in disbelief, "I just wanted some fucking tea." She spat out, clearly upset. 

Riley whistled lowly, "way to go guys. It's not like her sister was just killed or anything." Riley said to them with a look of disbelief after Ally walked out. "Way to ambush her in her own home." 

Grizz sighed and looked at the group, "I'm gonna go check on her, don't do anything stupid while I'm gone." He said to them before standing up, making a cup of tea, writing something down, and following after Ally. 

It was just like Grizz to do something like that, too. He had a heart of gold, just a giant teddy bear, to be honest. 

"Well, I'm gonna head out. This was pointless." Riley told them as she stood up, 

Jason stood up as she said that, seemingly thinking that it was his cue to go as well, and he followed her out of the house. "So, um, I just wanted to apologize for the other night, ya know? When we got in an argument." Jason said after catching up to her. 

Riley looked at him with a raised brow, slightly impressed that he was actually apologizing, but also annoyed by his feeble attempt. "It's whatever, Jason. I'm still annoyed at you, but I'll let this one slide. You're still my friend." 

This seemed to get Jason's hopes up, "still friends that hookup?" He asked her, wanting to see how far he could get her to go. The question was a bit ridiculous, given the circumstance, but he still wanted to know. 

"Possibly." Was Riley's response, and Jason knew better than to push it. He also knew, that as Riley grabbed his hand and squeezed it, she didn't mean possibly. After all, they both had horrible coping mechanisms.