Chapter 28 ( The Last Game)

Amidst the ... darkness of the house, amidst the cold winter air during the nighttime season, amidst the moon that shone enough light and amidst the spirits that filled with vengeance; everything caused the atmosphere of the night to make the young man's body tremble and pressurized at the same time. The sharp pair of eyes that stared as if holding the destiny and it shone a deadly light upon the person who stood there as a victim without an escape route. Also that smile filled with poison still caused the young man's heart cried out for a way that could lead his life through this final game.

"The murderer? ... What are you saying?"

The question-like sentence as if not understanding was asked back to me in the manner of usual conversation. In reality, the sentence that I spoke out was not directed to Uncle Mun or the real murderer to hear. But since Uncle Mun can not see the things I can, that sentence I spoke earlier nonchalantly floated to the ears of the real murderer. 

"Uncle ... Why are you doing this? Why did Uncle bring Phop and me here? Will Uncle kill us too?"

" Kill? What about killing? Are you so worried about Phop that your mind is going crazy?"

The tone that does not seem to be impatient when I accused him, caused me to be more confident that Uncle Mun is using a certain tricks to lure me to trust him. This game that I decided to do is definitely risky game for my life but if I don't do it, I won't find any important evidence to bind the murderer. That means that I didn't just know about Uncle Mun's identity only when I listened to the story he told, but I had foreseen it since before my legs had touched the floor of the lower level of this house.

The period while I was on the upstairs room and pretend to wait for Phop, something  had provoked me to be careful to stay beside Uncle Mun. The words that he mentioned about Uncle Kham was not a normal sentence you would use for when someone was not around. Can he even come back? This is a revealing sentence that even if you ask a hundred people, they would know it right away that the person being referred to was not alive anymore.

Of course, just one short sentence can not set values on anyone's life. So I had to try to find other ways to identify the hidden identity of the other person instead. The time when Uncle Mun told me that he would call the staff members, I had to pretend to walk down the stairs quietly and went to sneak at those conversations. Then I found out that the tone Uncle Mun used with the other person on the phone line changed into a lower tone which was so similar to me. It sounded like the voice of the clip where Khun Sattawat was being murdered. But the evidence that confirms the true identity was the last statement that I heard.

Catch him first. If I am able to take care of things here... I will head over there.

Premonition that I felt when I went to the last temple, it was the omen of death. At that time, aside from when I fainted, there was no other person dying as I had sensed it. That day was the day Uncle Kham walked in to talk to me about going home. The phone that Uncle Kham had left behind would become a good evidence to tell me the truth.  After I was sure that Uncle Kham might not be a murderer as the staff member had confessed, I decided to turn on the phone. Then I let the time went on a long with the ringing of the phone all over the room.

"Dad !!! Where have you been?  Where are you? Where did you disappear to? I can't contact you at all, sniff."

The cry of a woman shouted immediately after I accepted. At that moment, the color on my face dropped instantly.  The hand that held this device was shaking vigorously until my other hand was used to help it hold the phone. My tears flared up like a person who was deeply sad. As having to be calm was the last way I had left, the inquiry became a fine bargain that would open the way for me to survive.

"I ...I am not Uncle Kham. My name is Mew. A contestant in the game that Uncle Kham came to work for. Uncle Kham happened to left this phone on the day that he said he was going to visit you."

" And did you see my father again? Did my father ever came back to get the phone?"