CHAPTER XVIII

Matsuko arrives at Honoree's bedroom two hours before Yuuji's birthday party. It will be held at the mansion's garden and they're expecting half of the kingdom to attend. She found her sitting on the couch, tending the hand she burned at the oven while baking this afternoon.

"Does it hurt a lot Ojou-sama?"

Honoree winced when she apply the burn cream on the affected skin. The back of her left hand accidentally touched the side of the oven and it produce a big swelling under her skin filled with water. Matsuko help her wrapped it in medicated bandage Katsumi brought for her.

"You should have been more careful Ojou-sama, Yuuji-sama will worry when he saw this."

Honoree gave her a smile. "I know, but if I never bring that cake out for another second, we have to start all over again. I think I wasted four cakes at the kitchen."

As a gift for Yuuji, Honoree decided to bake him an almond cheesecake. Her mother taught her how to make one but it was back when she was young. The procedures seem crumpled on her head and she had a hard time writing it down again. It took her and Kenta the whole afternoon before they'd produce a perfect rich baked cheesecake with almonds sprinkled on top.

"Yuuji-sama will be happy when you serve him the cake."

Honoree's cheeks turn red. "I hope so..."

Matsuko helped her wear the kimono Kenta had prepared for her. She brought a dress with her but felt that Kenta will be furious if she wore otherwise. Matsuko braided her hair and put it in a high bun behind. Her bangs combed at the side of her face.

"The kimono suited you well Ojou-sama. Every eye will admire you at the party."

Honoree laughs with her. "If Ojii-san saw me looking like this, he'll say that I don't look foreign anymore."

Before Honoree can step on her shoe, they heard a soft knocking on the door. Matsuko opened it revealing Katsumi. She came in. She's wearing an elegant blue and white kimono but what completes her outfit is the sweet smile on her face.

"Good evening Hono-chan."

Matsuko turn to leave them alone.

"Good evening Katsumi-san."

Since Honoree and Katsumi met, they've been good friends. Katsumi invites her for tea parties together with some of her close friends. She didn't made Honoree feel different from them. They would go for a walk in the morning, picking flowers for the vases at the mansion and they would talked about some girly stuff. Mostly about Honoree's life as a sixteen year old girl. Honoree finds her nice, warm and intelligent. Katsumi never asked her anything that she find might intimidating, like those things about her parents and her life at Japan.

But there is something about Katsumi that reminds Honoree of her Uncle Jules, yet she would shove the idea out of her mind when it comes out.

"You look amazing!" Katsumi reached over and put her hands on Honoree's shoulders. Her ears wiggling from side to side and her six tails swaying gracefully behind her back. One of those brushed Honoree's cheek.

"Thank you Katsumi-san." Honoree started slipping her foot on the shoe in front of her.

Katsumi walks over at the balcony. During that time, the garden is slowly piling up with the visitors. Honoree asked her yesterday if Inari-sama would come, she really wants to see Inari, but she answered that Inari's pack schedules never allow her to attend parties. Katsumi saw Yuuji emerge from the crowd. He join Toshi at the refreshment area. He was looking for someone, turning his head from side to side and Katsumi isn't sure who he wants to see, her or Honoree.

'You really intend to go to the party Hono-chan?" she asked. The way she said it sounds like the words cannot be treated as a question, but as a matter of fact statement.

"Im sorry, I don't---"

Katsumi face Honoree, her eyes suddenly become dark than what their normal color is.

Honoree smiles at her but she didn't return it. "I said you really want to join us in the party."

"Yeah, Kenta even--"

"You're a boring thing Hono-chan. I thought you can have me interested in you but you failed." Katsumi was holding Honoree's eyes intensely. "All I'm trying to say is that you stop attaching yourself to Yuuji-sama from now on. What the two of you have is founded on accidental meeting and you, wearing his pearl of life wouldn't change the fact that he's mine. We've been together for the last five hundred years and you? Well, a month and twelve days is it? Poor girl, just by looking at you makes me want to cry. You came to love and care for him now, am I right?"

Honoree opens her mouth to speak but felt her throat dry. What would she say? That what Katsumi says isn't true? She knew that a part of her have grown to love Yuuji already and all of a sudden, she felt ashamed of it.

"I am right, after all. It shows in your eyes. The way you look at him. The way your heart sounds like when he's approaching and talking to you. The way you serve him during dinner. It can be heard in your voice too even if you're both into a teasing fit, you know." Katsumi let out a dry laugh. "Let's imagine that he feels the same way too, he told you that and chooses you over me then you guys both decided to live as husbands and wives and... Oh! That sounds so romantic! And then what? You're going to stay here? For how long? We kitsunes are still spirits. We wouldn't die Hono-chan. I don't know with you. You have a body not capable to live forever... and on the other hand, let's assume its the opposite. Kohaku arrives and breaks the bond forged between you and him. I'm sure it will only takes hours to prepare for our wedding. Him and me, at the altar, swearing loyalty to each other for the rest of our lives. And, where will you be during that time? Oh my! Here in the bedroom maybe, a casualty of a two month romance, tending with your broken heart..."

She fished a handkerchief on the sleeve of her kimono and patted her eyes dry. "Hono-chan, isn't that terrible. I'm sorry, I got carried away... either way will just end up you getting yourself hurt.... I'm just concern of your welfare Hono-chan, I know it hurts, love is a complicated thing. It makes you happy and then it tears you apart." Katsumi's expression changes, she lean closer to Honoree and whispered in her ear. "And because we're friends, I have arranged a way for you to go back on your world without needing the company of Yuuji-sama. You can go back even if you're still wearing his pearl of life. You can still bring back everything Hono-chan, the way they are before." Her lips drawn into a wicked smile.

Katsumi spent the remaining minutes explaining her plan to Honoree. Before she leaves her, she plants a kiss on her cheek. "I do believe that a girl like you will always do the right thing. I'll see you tomorrow at breakfast then." She paused. "And I'll make sure Yuuji-sama will have a taste of your birthday present. The cake, it looks delicious! Good work!" and close the door behind her.

Honoree stood there for a long moment. She felt her hands gone numb and her knees feeling weak. All Katsumi said was true. She took a deep breath and forces herself to sit at the edge of the bed. Katsumi needs an answer tomorrow morning. What will she do? It sounds tempting. It will spare her from the pain of being left behind.

----

It's funny how history can repeat itself sometimes. The night Honoree's mother informed her that she's going to have a brother from Uncle Jules, was one of the memories blurred in Honoree's mind. She forgot how her mother looks like back then. Is she happy? Sad? Shocked? And it's more strange to realized that Honoree can still see Uncle Jules triumphant smile, when she glance at him over her mother's shoulder, so clearly its like it happened a few minutes ago.

What did she do after that night? She knew she remained silent in front of her mother and she didn't dare cry. She could have been angry but that wouldn't changed her decision. She won over Uncle Jules by not allowing him to see her shed a tear.

Honoree stood up and took off her kimono. She switched on her own navy blue long-sleeved blouse and white skirt. She washed her face at the sink and loosens her braid.

That was right, after the long talk with her mother, she stormed outside wrapped with a thick scarf around her neck.

Tonight, she plans to do the same.