CHAPTER XIV

"Hono-chan, what brought you here?"

It was Ayame's mother who appeared at the gate for Honoree. Ayame lived in a modern house five minutes away from the Academy. Honoree sends her a message earlier but obviously, she has not seen it yet.

"Aya-chan isn't home here yet. She leaves before sunrise earlier and with the bag that she's carrying, I think she'll be spending the whole day at the tennis club. I can help you with anything Hono-chan." her mother said, smiling sweetly.

Ayame has one of the nicest mother in town and unlike her, who always wear a serious looking face and authorative air, her mother's alike with Honoree, having a pleasant face, ready to flash a smile to anyone. Ayame become fond of Honoree because of their similarities.

"That is kind of you Morita-san." Honoree smiles at her while handing her her notebooks wrap in a brown bag. "Please give this to her for me, I'll call when she gets back home. Thank you." Honoree bows slightly to show her gratitude.

"I'll make sure she gets this Hono-chan."

Honoree met Yuuji at the street. He's leaning at a light post and Honoree gasped on how handsome he looks like in that position.

Growing up, Yuuji had watched Ishikawa Perfecture develops for the last hundred years and he was amaze by how fast the once two province merge into one, changes. They reached the grocery store at the middle of the market. Honoree grabbed a basket and slid it on her arm before entering a person censored sliding door of the establishment. Yuuji stood outside, looking oddly at her so she pulled his arm and tug him along. "You looked tired Yuuji-san. Is there something bothering you?"

"Im away from home." he answered.

Honoree stop walking for a moment and pat Yuuji's forehead using the back of her hand. "You couldn't be away from home for that long?" Her face turns sullen. "Im sorry Yuuji-san." she whispered, realizing that Yuuji's denial for her one week stay at her world has deep reasons.

As if sensing that Honoree's blaming herself again for their arrangement, Yuuji reached for her hand and looked around. He spotted the vegetable section and lead Honoree there. "If you're really sorry then cook lunch for me. I want to eat something new. A dish from where you used to live before." He felt Honoree squeeze his hand then a soft smile curled on her lips.

"I'll do my best Yuuji-san!"

Before heading back to the shrine, Honoree lead Yuuji to the candy corner. She saw Riko walks toward them. She bow slightly to her.

"Good day Riko-san. I brought a friend here today." Honoree said.

Riko smiled at her then to Yuuji. "Pick as much as candy you want Hono-chan, I'll give you discounts."

Honoree picked up a mini blue gummy fish candy and show it to Yuuji. "Say ahh." She surprises him when she stuff the candy on his mouth and picked up another one for her. "Did you like it Yuuji-san? Riko-san makes the best candies in the world."

He nods, his cheeks pinkish.

"I'll go buy some for the others too."

Riko-san gave her a 20% discount for a kilo of candies.

While walking back home, Honoree complains of how fast her monthly allowance had vanished in an instant. She later cooks her favorite dish from Strasbourg. It's a beef and pork stew cooked with potatoes and carrots called baeckeoffe. They will have a banana and apple smoothie for the drink. As for Takao, Honoree decided to cooked chrinabe, a hotpot of fish and vegetables. Takao normally stays at the shrine for lunch during weekends, so she arranged his lunch on a tray and brought it over to him.

When she gets back, she found Yuuji sitting already at the table, waiting for her. Honoree never knew that just one simple sight of him could make her heart beat a little faster.

"Itadakimasu!"

"That's beef?" Yuuji asked.

"It is," she serve him a cup and watched him took a bite, nervous that he'll not find it good. After he swallowed a mouthful, Yuuji's eyes widen and took a spoonful again. "You like it?"

"Do I have a choice?" he teased. After finishing a cup, he lift it up and motioned Honoree to fill it again.

Honoree laughs. The kind of laughter that made Yuuji smile to himself.

----

That night, they decided that Yuuji cannot join Honoree and Takao to dinner. Takao will become suspicious if he knew that Honoree's "friend" is still at their home, and because of that Yuuji is forced to stay at her room for the meantime. He spend the time reading Honoree's books and notes.

"Ojii-san, we have a team building at the archery club starting tomorrow. I'll be gone for..." Honoree was thinking of the months she plans to spend on the kingdom. Three days is equivalent to three months. "...three days."

If Honoree lifted her face, she would have seen the confusion that crosses on her grandfather's face. At the back of his mind, he knew that Honoree is up to something strange. The friend she introduces him earlier looks different and he suddenly reminded him of the kitsune lady he met when he was young. He must be the reason of Honoree's changes. For four years, Honoree never bring anyone into their home alone. Her friends always come over in pairs. He also noticed the gleam in Honoree's eyes that wasn't there before. Takao feels hesitant to ask Honoree in details but he knew that she would speak about it when the right time comes, when she figure it out for herself first. Nonetheless, he was glad to see her happy.

"Just be careful, child." he said.

Honoree looks at him and smiles. There it goes again, her eyes were alive and seems to overflow with words she can't say.

After an hour, Takao resigned for the day and head to his bedroom. Honoree brought Yuuji dinner. She felt her phone vibrates on her pocket and remember that Akira will come over.

"Hono-chan, come meet me outside." Akira said over the line.

Honoree wore a jacket and wrapped a scarf around her neck before heading downstairs. "Just stay here Yuuji-san, I'll be back in a minute." she called back. Yuuji watched her in annoyance, and he loss a sense of appetite. He had his fox's ears and tails back but Honoree didn't even notice it.

Akira was standing at the shinto gate when she saw him. He was pacing back and forth and he's wearing a leather jacket and trousers, his hands on his pocket. The night wind blows Honoree's hair behind, chilling her. It was colder than the night yesterday when they've gone to the movie premiere. Honoree can see Akira's breath through the street light.

"Akira! Why are you standing there? Its cold. Let's get inside."

He flashes her a boyish grin. "Its fine. I just came here to give you something." Akira turns away as he felt his cheeks getting warm. Despite the fact that he's currently dating a girl from the Academy he still finds Honoree the most beautiful girl out there and when she stares at him with his big blue eyes, he can't help but feel shy. "I...I should have given this to you after the movie last night, but you're already wearing one."

He reached for a small elegant red box on his pocket and showed it to Honoree. "I bought this a month ago when we went shopping in Tokyo and..." he paused, thinking of the right words to say, that might swoon Honoree. He's good with words but even himself finds it surprising that when in front of her he becomes tongue tied, always stuttering the wrong phrases. "...and you're, I mean, when I saw it, it reminds me of... no, I believe that it will suit you." There I finally said it!

Honoree took the box and examined the lid. "It's not my birthday and Christmas is a month away."

He let out a chuckle.