Chapter - 3 : An Old Warbird, Must Not Attract Trouble

"The pier?" Bai Xiangxiu asked strangely.

"Yes! There are always be some foreign goods arriving at the dock. Perhaps the item you want might be there." Xiao Shi would have never dared to suggest such an idea if her mistress was the same as before. In the depths of this compound, how could it be easy to just leave at the slightest whim? Xiao Shi was convinced that she had been bewitched by her mistress' charm.

That's right! There's usually a plot development like this in novels. Bai Xiangxiu stroked her chin, fired up with the determination to go out. Who knows what kind of strange things she would come across? She had that feeling that her appearance here had simply been too much of a surprise.

Most people would either suffer some kind of coma or even die before they transmigrated. In her case, there had been nothing wrong. She was perfectly healthy. How could she have ended up in this compound with the fate of being doomed to be cannon fodder?

Bai Xiangxiu had to walk in circles several times before she could regain her composure. Obtaining the old madame's permission to leave, that task had a word that could describe its difficulty, "HAH!". That old madame was highly conservative, and loathed the idea of her son's women running around attracting bees and butterflies. This was also why she had a bad relationship with the female protagonist. Even if all four new concubines didn't engage in any relations with the lord, they still wouldn't be able to take a step out of their courtyard until death. A shiver ran through her as her thoughts came to a stop there. That old madame was a feudalistic old warbird, Bai Xiangxiu mustn't attract trouble!

"Do you think the old woman will allow me to go out?" To be honest, the old woman wasn't that old, only in her early forties. Of course, in public she would be called Old Madame, her appellation of "old woman" was something only used in private.

Xiao Shi shook her head. The old madame's character was strict, so it was rare to have anyone in the mansion causing a fuss or not abiding by the rules. Xiao Shi was sure that without a proper reason, the old madame wouldn't give her mistress permission to go out. When Bai Xiangxiu saw Xiao Shi's expression, she chuckled mischievously. The laugh caused a layer of goosebumps to run down Xiao Shi's back.

An hour later, Xiao Shi was holding an embroidery piece while sitting at the doorway. Her eyes were fixed on the corner of the gate not far from her, but she was lost in thought. Just past that gate was a winding corridor which, after a short distance would lead to the outside. That was the entrance which vendors and peddlers frequently used for deliveries or other tasks. I wonder if Madame Xiu has walked out yet in the attire of a servant girl?

Xiao Shi clearly wanted to stop her mistress, but Xiao Shi's poor heart had melted with merely a wink from her mistress. She couldn't help but sigh, she truly had been manipulated in that moment of weakness. Those old sayings about femme fatales really held truth!

Bai Xiangxiu really had gone out, and even worse, had done so easily. The traders used many carts to move their goods, thus each cart had one very big basket containing food. She slipped into one of the baskets without difficulty and easily made it out. But when the trader turned the corner, he heard a voice from somewhere shouting, "Halt!"

The trader didn't expect there to be someone nearby, and hurriedly brought his cart to a stop. He turned, looking at the basket in his cart. With vegetable leaves sticking to her head, Bai Xiangxiu casually climbed out of the basket, not minding her bedraggled state in the least. Her beautiful face broke into a smile as she spoke to the honest-looking forty year old man, "Apologies big brother, I borrowed your cart to get out. Let me explain why." She'd already thought it through completely, inventing a story whilst hiding in the cart.

In her story, her mistress' father had fallen ill. However, how would the lord's estate allowed her lady to leave as she wished? Therefore, she'd taken her mistress' place to go visit the father. She even took out a tael of silver and gave it to the trader. Don't think that she was an idiot to freely bring out money just because she was new to ancient times. Bribing someone she didn't trust with silver? That was clearly courting death.