Chapter 26

- - -

The portal closed behind them, leaving Marvel to sit on the cot and stare at open-air as the meeting room doors opened.

- - -

Captain Marvel glanced towards the door, sliding off the medicinal bed and landing on his feet. He swayed for a moment before steadying himself on the table's edge. 

The room felt like it was spinning-- why was this still affecting him? 

Maybe- maybe it was some lasting effect?

He hoped it would fade- he didn't like the faces he was getting from the rest of the League.

Victor was at his side moments after stepping through the door, a steadying hand bracing his arm. He helped the demigod lean against the cot. 

"Take it easy- take it easy. There's no way you could recover from something like that so quickly."

"I'm- im- i'm- i'm fine-" he stammered, shutting his eyes for a moment and relying completely on Victor to keep him standing before opening them once more. 

"I'll be fine. Always am," he said, glancing around.

"So-" Captain Marvel continued, ignoring the dizziness in his head. "You know."

The room was quiet. Too quiet for Marvel's liking-- quiet meant tension and tension was something that had never worked out well for him. He glanced around-- everyone had a different expression on their face.

 If he hadn't been sure before, he was now.

"Right," he continued, pushing off the cot clumsily. "I'll uh- I'll pack my stuff," he said, glancing at Victor. "Some help?"

"Whoa, whoa, Cap, slow down, let's- let's take things slow, alright?" Victor tried to say, glancing at the others before looking back at the raven. "No one's even said anyth-"

"They don't have to, Vic."

Marvel pulled his arm from the cyborg's grip. "No one has to say anything. I- I- I know. I did something shitty. I did something that can't be forgiven. I don't know what you guys saw in there, but I know its more than enough for everyone to know who I really am," he said, his voice wavering at the end.

He swallowed thickly, blinking back a glisten in his eyes. "I'll go. I'll go so that no one has to make the decision for me."

"Cap-"

Marvel growled at the man. "Victor, just- just stop! Let me- let me make some kind of choice in this, okay?! I didn't get the choice to tell everyone who I am, let me make some kind of decision for myself for once."