Aftermath

Merlin POV

Oh my G- "Merlin?!" Arthur stared down at me. I had rolled out of bed in shock after realizing it wasn't a dream. Arthur scrambled over to me, carefully lifting me back onto the mattress.

"Arthur, what was.." I attempted to understand the situation, "I thought..you and Gwen?" Arthur sat on the bed and bowed his head, signaling for me to shut up. I placed my hand on his bare shoulder, he gulped and buried his head in his hands.

"Arthur?" I sat up and tried to comfort him even if moving caused me great pain.

"I.." Arthur glanced up at me and we locked eyes, "I don't know what I'm feeling." He sighed, shaking his head. "I feel the same when I'm with you as when I'm with Guinevere." I saw his face turning a light pink as he sorted through his thoughts.
"I need a moment." Arthur swiftly grabbed his shirt from the floor and walked out of the hut, in a way that told me not to follow him. I shuddered, I suddenly grew cold, the fire had gone out a long time ago but he had been keeping me warm instead.

My head felt heavy as I placed it back on the pillow, I kissed Arthur Pendragon.  

Arthur POV

A fire burned under my skin even in the wind, I still felt his lips on mine. I rubbed my forehead while continuing to pace back and forth. My thoughts became a mess, thoughts of Merlin and Gwen. I held my pointer finger to my lips as I considered the possibility of being with Merlin. 

It was true that I loved Gwen, but I had also found myself being drawn to Merlin. As if he was the other half of me. Even if he was just a servant, he was also my closest friend. My father would've never even considered me having him as my partner, but as King I can do as I please. My mind was made up by the time I had completed my tenth lap between two trees.

I would confess to Merlin.. Eventually. My heart sank when I came back to reality, I had left a wounded Merlin all alone in the cold. I raced back to the hut and shot through the door almost as soon as I opened it. Merlin was laying where I had left him, just looking at me with the same look of confusion. 

 "Are you okay?" He lifted his head, peering over at me. His lips were rounded, inviting. I looked at my feet, peeking up to see Merlin still staring with his big, tender eyes.

"Well, Merlin," I crept towards him, "do I seem okay?" His eyes drifted downwards, looking at my feet which had been covered in twigs and dirt.

"Not exactly, though I've seen you worse." Merlin gave me a small grin as he stretched his shoulders against the pillow.

"You have," I bit my lip, "and I've seen you banged up too." His face suddenly turned a light pink as he coughed, shivering. I pulled him closer onto me, placing my chin on the top of his head. Merlin didn't object, just leaned against my shoulder and warmed up. We breathed in sync as our body heat mixed.

He turned his head slightly and I felt his warm breath on my shoulder, the hairs on my arms stood up immediately. 

Merlin POV

His heart began to beat faster, along with mine. His shoulder was hard and dug into my cheek but I didn't mind, he was warm. As I began to drift off again, I felt his fingers tipping my face up.

Arthur placed a gentle kiss on my cheek before releasing his grip. "That's for being an idiot," he spoke against the back of my head.

"I would like to continue being an idiot," I turned my body to face him, straddling his legs, "if you continue to have me." I felt an uncontrollable smile spread across my face to the sight of a flustered Arthur.

  His gaze shifted towards the door as he cleared his throat, "Of-of course." His arm snaked around my waist to support me, "Merlin?"

"Yes, sire?" I tilted my head to the side.

"I think I've somehow," His gaze turned to the bed, "fallen for you." I felt light headed after his confession and leaned my head against his chest.

"I believe that I might have fallen for you as well, Arthur." I breathed against his chest, his v-necks never did a good job of covering it.

Once the words escaped my mouth, Arthur tilted my head upwards and began to kiss me, this time it was filled with passion. I could tell his feelings were as true as mine. His lips mashed against mine and I ran my hand through his hair, tugging gently. He gasped against my lips and we separated, touching our foreheads together. 

----------

Authors Note: Once again sort of a cliffhanger ending, just for having a somewhat even word count between chapters! Not sure if I should've waited longer for him to confess but might as well have the title match for the "short" portion. Also, another thank you to any readers! <3