Chapter 10

Welcome to the senior prom.

Colorful, sparkly letters were welcoming snobbish elite of professors, hosts and students, proud parents eager to capture every pose of their now all grown children on the photos.

Baby Braileigh showing off her body in that sexy ass dress - well, Karen needs to put that on Facebook.

Boy gangs were a bit to eager as one could notice, tonight was their night to lose the virginity if they haven't by now. Oh, well, Amber wasn't that lucky. Her parents stayed in their house traditionally, she has been picked up by her chaperon who thankfully agreed to pick up Jenna and her guy first, since they were practically neighbours.

Girls strutted their way proudly in their high heels and lovely dresses, clinging to their chaperons. Amber decided to have fun with her best friend, even if it meant sitting by the table drinking yucky punch, at least she could catch a breath from her current situation. You know, be an 18 year old full of dreams once again, not a mid-age crisis survivor. She felt confident tonight in her off-shoulder burgundy dress with a dangerous cut showing off her thigh, Jenna was as equally beautiful in her champagne colored, sparkly dress that complimented her ombre hairstyle.

Chaperones were just some high-school boys, she intended forgetting them right after, though they were decent guys. But Joel was not the one Amber was picturing by her side these past months. Wouldn't it be so cool if instead of him walked a black haired rockstar in a dark suit and a leather fedora? His bulky arms would lead her confidently, his frame protectively half step ahead, shielding her from the preying eyes. And if only they could skip the homecoming king and queen announcement so her riff king could take over the stage to dedicate her one last song...

Stop thinking about Haner, no more Haner, you can do this!

Light show danced on their faces as they entered the grand hall, Jenna gestured her once she had detected a free spot they could spend the rest of the night.

***

'Be in front of the hotel, I'll pick you up in an hour.'

Brian's message reflected in Amber's eyes, who was, no doubt, appalled by it. She never mentioned him the prom date nor in which hotel she was.

"You didn't tell him?" Jenna stood right by, glancing into Amber's phone. "No, he must've figured it out himself somehow," Amber took a swig of an egg punch, such a nasty taste, eek! She felt nervous, nauseous from all the pressure of her sudden tense body, the environment surrounding her, those hormone raging, smelly teenagers sweating on the dance floor made it even worse.

Why couldn't she be like them? Young and careless, instead she acted like a mid-age woman counting the first grays over the grumpy spouse and bratty kids. Wait, she was a married woman, sad but true.

"I need to use a toilet, excuse me," she quickly managed to speak into a thick air before she hurried out of the balloon filled hall.

"Amber, wait!" Jenna's voice echoed in her ears, the pressure in her head built immensely. She barely managed to close the door once she entered the loo, before facing the toilet seat. Nothing came out, however her head spun and her esophagus burned. "Amber, are you ok?" Jenna knocked on the door. "No," she weeped from the inside, huddling herself on the side.

Jenna entered, crouching next to the poor girl. "What is it?" she scooped her hair off her neck and embraced her to herself.

"Must be eggnog," Amber taught naively. "Please, just find the painkillers in my bag."

Jenna reached for her bag; while searching for the painkillers, she found something interesting. "Diane 35? Since when Amber?" she couldn't recall her telling her she was using the birth control pills.