Chapter 9

"Let me get this straight you actually like him, you're attached to him, but you won't confess because he's in a relationship?" Jenna had concentrating look to her face while she tried to figure what has Amber been babbling about for the past 20 minutes; she initially had intention to emphasise details of her story, but as one could expect, bottling up for so long did its tool.

The uneasy look on her face showed she had so much more that was bugging her, a hollow depth her happy go lucky best friend couldn't quite understand. Maybe he could... now Amber, why are you fooling yourself?

Brian was a simple man with a grounded sense: fuck around while young, settle down after. Presumably, settling down meant getting a house, marrying a long term partner and having 2.5 kids right after. She taught about him like this often now, lustful anticipation she used to feel was subsided by this worry. But why did she worry about his long-term prosperity when, as soon as the contest is over, they'll be nothing more than fellow colleagues nodding knowingly to each other whenever they cross paths at Schecter meetings?

"Yeah, that's the story, basically. I mean his moral is not a question, in case I told him and he agreed to try. I'm pretty sure he'd handle it like a grown man and explain her the situation. But I don't know what's in his head." Amber's face worriedly frowned as she looked to the distance.

Girls looked like they were enjoying their cocktails at the fancy rooftop cafe; one wouldn't expect two youngsters whose life has just began to understand karmic relationships and share wisdom like that under the black Guinness umbrella. "What do you think?"

"My girl, he's head over heels for you. No one would make a promise tattoo just because! I don't care how stoned he was at that point." Jenna tried explaining pre-relationship basics to her unknowing friend. "And seems to me, you're on the same page," she gestured towards Ambers ringfinger, Jenna squealed in happiness when she first revealed it. Never in a million years could Amber ever imagine she'd be putting a fucking concealer, and three crucifix rings she got from her aunt on her finger to hide some ink.

She shouldn't have put her faith in Haner.

"I guess so. But it's hard for me to admit to myself first, y'know. It's such a hard situation."

"Oh c'mon Amby," Jenna called her out like it should be obvious, "it ain't hard at all, happens all the time. Tabloids are full of that shit, guy ditching his woman to date a young, smoking hot chick. Take Brad Pitt leaving Jennifer Aniston, who's literally a pocket venus, to be with Angelina. I mean yeah, I understand him, I'd get a girl boner just being near her, but my point is," she lifted her pointer finger to finish her piece of wisdom, "all is permitted in love and war."

Love? Bitch where?

"Well hun, that doesn't apply to me cuz I ain't talking about love. Our thing is just a fetus that is soon to be deletus." Amber smirked coldly, she knew she'd break many hearts if their story was a novel.

"But why?" Jenna couldn't understand such pessimism.

"Because it's a potential, that could turn into a beautiful thing or a disaster, and by that it presents a great risk. A risk that could ruin his stable future with Michelle. A risk that could burry their true love. No potential is more worth if it implies killing whats already alive." Amber looked her friend straight into her eyes, she stood firmly by those words. She genuinely wanted whats best for all of them in this love triangle, especially Brian.

"How do you know he loves her? I mean, obviously his ringfinger shows who's he loyal to."

Amber pursed her lips thoughtfully, exploring the distant rooftops. "Why'd he still be with her, then?"