1: Born Tired

Angélie Aria Mason|Angie or Lee
Saturday, December 20th, 2018
12:00 PM EDT
Toronto, Ontario
Yorkdale Mall

"How long are we gonna be here?" I asked my best friend, Sky, as she drove into Yorkdale's parking lot

"Just a couple hours. Then we'll go out to eat and..." She paused slightly to obnoxiously cover her mouth with her hand and mumbled, "Go to Ray's kickback."

I got out of the car, following her.

I shook my head and began speaking, "Skylar, I-"

"Please come," she begged, interrupting me. "Besides, I already told Ray that you would love to come."

"Skyyy," I whined. "Why would you do that?"

"Because I want to see my best friend happy. Come on, just live a little. You've never even had a boyfriend before. Besides, I saw how close y'all used to be," she tried to reason.

"I don't need a man to make me happy and it's really not that serious... we were only friends. Friends come and go everyday," I told her.

"Mhmm," she hummed with a smug look on her face.

"I'm being serious," I stale faced her.

Actually, I found out that when Ray and I were trying to start something, he was talking to multiple other girls. I didn't tell my best friend because it didn't last long and wasn't worth mentioning. I wasn't even hurt afterwards, I just chose to distance myself from him. Though we had been friends a long time, things were just weird now.

This always happened to me. I get to know certain guys and the relationships never go anywhere. I guess I have the most trouble keeping interest in guys once I start talking to them, but I'm really just waiting to feel that spark that people talk about.

"Whatever, it's still our last day to hang out before you leave." She pouted at me.

I'm going on a trip to Chicago to go see my dad's family for Christmas. Once I leave, we won't be able to see each other until New Year's eve.

I sighed, knowing I was about to give in. I hated to let down anyone in my life because I wanted them to know that I really care, always.

When my mom died, I was only in the seventh grade. I was upset with her because she argued with me about my outfit choice, so I left to school without saying anything to her.

Everything happened so fast that day. My dad picked me early from school, saying that we had to go to the hospital. But by the time we got there, it was too late and she had passed away.