Chapter 4

"Hey Mrs Vallenmort," Sean placed his coat on the rack in the staffroom. He wasn't worried about it being stolen because the only employees on this floor was him and Mrs Vallenmort. Remi liked a small efficient team over a big disorganized mess.

"Good morning sweetie," the kind lady replied, "You know you can just call me Bettie or Luna."

"Yes Luna," he smiled.

"I see you came to work with my son," she shot him a knowing look.

"Don't jump to conclusions. He probably does that for all his assistants," Sean laughed.

Bettie scoffed. She couldn't believe that Sean didn't see it.

"I'll just go greet my son and I'll get those files on the estate borders for you to look over and organize."

Bettie entered her son's office to find him with a huge grin and a lovestruck look as he gazed out his office window.

"Should you really be playing with the boy like that? What happens when you find your mate?" Bettie placed her hands and looked at her son.

A look of guilt and fear spread across Remi's face. Bettie gasped, her hand flying to her mouth.

"He's your mate," she whispered incredulously. Tears of joy prickled her eyes and she blinked them back. A look of fear was still on her son's face and she was confused.

"You are going to claim him, right?"

"Mom, I can't," Remi said pleadingly for her to understand, "I'm the future alpha. I need heirs. How am I going to do that with a male mate? I have no choice but to reject him."

"You can't go against fate Remi!" Bettie was pissed at her son's stupidity.

"I have to! Even dad thinks so," he said, then he realised his mistake.

His dad was destined to marry an alpha female. The woman that was chosen for him just happened to be his mate. He had told Remi that even if she wasn't his mate, he would have still married her. His motto was 'Duty over Happiness.' His mom always thought that his dad married her because he wanted to and that was true. What she didn't know was that he was ordered to marry her as well.

Bettie watched her son as guilt spread over his features and she got a harsh reality check. It all made sense; the way her father pushed her to marry Remi's father even if they weren't mates, the way Remi's father enthusiastically agreed and even how her father would meet with him to discuss the joining of the packs. Her marriage was a business agreement. She wondered if Remi's father even loved her when he said "I do."

Remi watched as his mother crumbled in front of him. His heart constricted as he got up to offer her comfort.

"Mom, dad really does love you," he gathered her stiff form in his arms.

Bettie didn't care. He didn't love her at first. He loved the power.

She patted her son on his chest and reached up to cup his face in her hands. Her glistening orbs looking into her son's.

"Don't reject your mate. No matter what, always treat him like he is the most important thing in this world to you."

She turned and walked away and it was the first time she walked without energy. The closing of his door signified the ball of shit that he had just started.

••••••••°•••••••

Sean walked into Remi's office, a stack of files in his hand.

"You have a meeting with the alpa at two and I need you to call Home Depot© right away in regards to the new desk that is going to be installed. Also a woman named Stephanie said that she is coming by at 12 for lunch. Lastly, what the hell did you do to your mother?" Sean closed his folder with a resounding smack.