07| ALLIANCE

Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

Alliance

"THE brown current ran swiftly out of the heart of darkness, bearing us down towards the sea with twice the speed of our upward progress," their English teacher was reading out loud but Nancy nor Nina were following along.

Nancy was staring out the window while Nina had her head resting against her desk; not wanting to be there. 

"And Kurtz's life was running swiftly, too..." their teacher was interrupted by the door opening and the office administrator speaking; "Nancy Wheeler and Nina Lance? If you'll come with me, please?"

Nina lifted her head off her desk to look over at Nancy before both girls got up; grabbing their things and following the office administrator down the hallway to the cafeteria where Mrs Wheeler and Oliva were seated with Powell and Callahan seated across from them. "Mum, what's going on?" Nina asked as she sat down beside her adoptive mother.

Olivia shook her head before looking over at Powell and Callahan and nodding; signalling for them to start talking. "Nancy. Nina. We are here to talk that night with Barbara Holland. Can you tell us what happened?" Powell asked which the girls began explaining what happened that night; obviously leaving out a few things that the adults didn't need to know.

The two officers were writing down everything the girls said. "This argument you, Barbara and Nina had? What exactly was it about?" Powell interrupted the two girls which made Nina's brows frown in confusion as she didn't understand why he was asking them this question.

"It wasn't really an argument," Nancy began in a shaking voice before stopping which allowed Nina to explain further; "Barb and I just wanted to leave. Nancy didn't, so she told us to just go home."

Nina's voice was even and strong as she wasn't intimidated by the two officers sitting in front of her...mostly because she knew them personally from Olivia. "Then what?" Powell asked which this time Nancy answered; "Then I went upstairs to put on some dry clothes."

Nina knew Nancy wasn't telling the full truth about that night as Mrs Wheeler's eyes were staring her daughter down. 

"And the next day, the two of you went back and... saw a bear, you're thinking?" Powell asked as he didn't believe what the girls had seen yesterday.

"We don't know what it was, but..." Nina began before she looked over at Nancy and then continued; "We think maybe it took Barb."

"You need to check behind Steve's house..." Nancy begged and she was interrupted by Callahan; "We did. There's nothing there. There's no sign of a bear."

"And no car," Powell's words shocked the two girls.

"What?" They both asked in unison.

"Look. We figure that Barbara came back last night and then she took off, went somewhere else," Callahan explained which made Nina stare at him in disbelief.